HDD issue with heat (WD5000KS in Scythe Quiet Drive)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echn111

HDD issue with heat (WD5000KS in Scythe Quiet Drive)

Post by echn111 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:20 pm

I've got my WD5000KS in Scythe Quiet Drive enclosures and they are quiet and significantly reduce vibrations. My problem is that the temperatures seem rather high.

I have two of them in my 5.25" bays sitting below my DVD-drive, and there is not a lot of airflow in this area. Consequently, the drive directly below my DVD-drive is 47c at "idle" and the one immediately below it is 41c. My 4th available 5.25" bay is empty, and I have refrained from adding a 3rd drive in this area.

This area of low airflow is the only place I can put my drives as the rest of my case is occupied by watercooling equipment.

Are these temperatures an issue with these modern HDD's or can I just ignore them? If this is a problem, does anyone know of easy solutions? Or is there a watercooling block that prevents vibrations like the Scythe Quiet Drive but actively cools the HDD?

darthan

Post by darthan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:01 pm

That is within the drives rated operating temperature range. Over 45 does make a lot of the people around SPCR pretty uncomfortable as it could theoretically reduce drive lifespan. I don't know that there is any hard evidence to back that idea up though. If you're worried try suspending or otherwise attaching a fan in front of or behind the enclosures. Even the airflow from a 5V Nexus could make a surprising difference if there is no airflow currently. It is a pretty cheap solution too.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:43 am

I just put felt pads on a 5 volted fan and lay it on top of the enclosure. Add some double sided mounting tape if you don't won't it to move. You could also move one or both of the enclosures to the bottom of the case using some foam strips for packing / securing in the bottom of the case.

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:02 am

Unfortunately, the 5.25" bays are the only place I can keep my HDD - the bottom of the case contains my watercooling reservoirs and fans.

But I've now tried seperating my two HDD held in Silent Drive enclosures, so there is a now a much bigger gap between the two where air can flow. Temps are now 42 and 38 which is reasonable. Unfortunately, this means that my 3rd HDD cannot go there, at least not in a Silent Drive enclosure, else same problem as before.

So going to add my 3rd HDD in the middle but in a Zalman ZM-2HC2 HDD Heatpipe I just ordered, which hopefully, will leave enough of a gap between the other two to keep air flowing. Don't know if the Zalman is any good, but we'll see.