500 Gb - SATA - Silence - who's the best?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 pm

At least in case of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager you can reset RAID1 array to non-raid disks without loosing data which would guarantee data movability to any new computer.

I myself have AMCC/3Ware hardware raid controller coming (no worries about data movability) and what I asked them they don't currently support such function, only resetting to "Single disk" mode which contains still some configuration data but should work in ports of motherboards.
Most controllers propably write configuration data to disks in RAID array so it's propably not always straightforward. On the other hand in case of controllers made by same manufacturer new controller can detect array directly from configuration data.

brioni wrote:I agree, the seagate’s are truly awful and after reading this review http://www.silentpcreview.com/article283-page4.html I decided to return my 7200.9 500 GB HD.
Also their read buffering is craptacular.

slaman

Post by slaman » Tue May 22, 2007 6:40 am

Has anyone tried enabling AAM on a non-Asus board and then connecting the drives to the Asus board with AI Quiet?

Does the AAM setting "stick"?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue May 22, 2007 7:09 am

adobian wrote:I like Seagate and Maxtor because they offer 5 year warranty on their 500GB drives.
Just in case this comes as a newsflash, Seagate owns Maxtor nowadays.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Tue May 22, 2007 9:49 am

Does anyone know which Asus motherboards have the "AI Quiet" feature on them. I just looked at the specs page for the P5W-DH that the OP has, and it doesn't mention it in the features list.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?mode ... =11&l3=248

I'm wondering if this is a reason not to buy one of their P35-K3 Deluxe boards.

slaman

Post by slaman » Tue May 22, 2007 12:05 pm

I own the P5W DH and I can confirm that AAM does not work... I can't confirm that it has AI Quiet though until I get home from work.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm

The ASUS AI Quiet function (Intel EIST plus ASUS Q-FAN2 technology) dynamically controls CPU speed and reduces temperature and fan speeds when peace and quiet are what you desire. (Note: ASUS AI Quiet function requires Intel 600 series CPU with EIST function)
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... leId=14363

In case the OP board doesn't have it, maybe it has Q-FAN2?

But this has me puzzled: how does a fan-controlling mechanism interfere with HDDs?

- Addition -

Sloppy reading you have done. In the specs for OP board it lists the AI Quiet feature. In here: http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?mode ... 3=248&l4=0
It's under "ASUS AI Lifestyle Features".

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Tue May 22, 2007 1:34 pm

I didn't goto the specs page, just to the board features list. It isn't listed on the specs page for the newer P35 boards so AAM may work on those.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 pm

They might just as well replace "Features" with "Marketing", it's just a sales pitch. :lol:

I thought you had gone through the specifications as well:
I just looked at the specs page for the P5W-DH that the OP has, and it doesn't mention it in the features list.
But obviously I took it too literally.

slaman

Post by slaman » Tue May 22, 2007 2:58 pm

lol

On another note - anyone want to trade my P5H Deluxe for one that actually supports AAM!? ;)

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 pm

"ai quiet" sounded more like marketting crap than a proper specification of something so I thought the "features" list at was the natual place to look for it.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed May 23, 2007 1:38 am

And right you are, if it indeed consists of nothing more than Q-FAN2 and Intel's EIST.

The Asus Q-FAN system, as I understand it, monitors component temperatures(CPU only?) and adjusts fans to maintain set temperatures. The Q-FAN interface is embedded in the board's BIOS.

It works great for users who don't know any better, but would like to have a quiet machine nonetheless. I've used it in three rigs I put together for people and have no complaints, although I haven't had the pleasure of using a board with the more recent Q-FAN2.

Intel's EIST on the other hand has nothing to do with Asus, obviously. They're just taking credit by relabeling the packaged components under their ASUS AI QUIET logo.

--

Yet I ask: how could the AI QUIET system -- monitoring temperatures and adjusting CPU and fans -- interfere with AAM settings? If you could ask Asus' support team that, I'd much appreciate their detailed explanation. Could help avoid bad boards altogether if they can pinpoint it to certain chipsets or features.

ruark

Post by ruark » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:07 am

Has anyone tried enabling AAM on a non-Asus board and then connecting the drives to the Asus board with AI Quiet?

Does the AAM setting "stick"?
Hello guys i've just upgraded my machine (asus P5K mb with c2d 6420) and i have noticed that my new 320GB Hitachi SATA HDD is a little bit noisy.
I've tried to change the AAM settings with the Hitachi tool, but as you wrote, the settings are not saved after the reboot. So I've googled a bit and i came to this thread. I decided to try to change the AAM on another computer and then to return the disk back to my PC to see if this will do the trick.
I have another machine in my home with Epox socket 754 motherboard and I've enabled the AAM there to 190 value, and everything was ok on this motherboard, but when I've returned the disk to my new machine the AAM value is again 254, so don't waste your time to test this, it will not works.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:29 am

What's wrong with the Samsung HD501LJ? Why isn't it mentioned here, are the WD5000(AA)KS better / quieter?

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:47 pm

stevenkelby wrote:What's wrong with the Samsung HD501LJ? Why isn't it mentioned here, are the WD5000(AA)KS better / quieter?
Nothing's wrong with it - I have 2 myself and they are the quietest drives I've owned (although I hadn't been bitten by the quiet bug when I bought my previous drives). I think they're not mentioned because the OP said he did not want samsungs for warranty reasons.