Nero Drivespeed

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NoiseFreeGuy

Nero Drivespeed

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm pretty new to Nero's Drivespeed and wonder how it works in general.

Can I lock in a read speed for an optical drive so that it will always read at that speed until I change it?

Right now when I turn on my external DVD drive it seems to have a mind of its own and starts to read data disks at maximum speed.
It's not until I fire up Drivespeed and set a slower speed that it seems to slow down.

I hope I don't have to manually set the speed each time. It doesn't seem to make sense if I would have to.

TIA Ric

Towermax

Re: Nero Drivespeed

Post by Towermax » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:29 pm

NoiseFreeGuy wrote:I'm pretty new to Nero's Drivespeed and wonder how it works in general.

Can I lock in a read speed for an optical drive so that it will always read at that speed until I change it? . . . I hope I don't have to manually set the speed each time. It doesn't seem to make sense if I would have to.
Under "Options", there are checkboxes for "Run at startup" and for "Restore speed settings at startup."

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Towermax wrote:
NoiseFreeGuy wrote:Under "Options", there are checkboxes for "Run at startup" and for "Restore speed settings at startup."
So let's see if I understand this properly.
I need to go into Drivespeed under Options and set it to Run at the startup of WinXP? Then it will restore the speed settings that I had previously set if I check off this box?

I see a problem with this.
I just went to fire up Drivespeed now and it said "No CD-ROM drives found".

Most of the time (99% of the time) I will keep my DVD drive turned off.
Why would I power it up if I'm not using it?

So the "Run at Startup" won't be useful because my drive will be turned off and I'll just get that error message.

Also, why would I load a program Drivespeed into memory when I'd hardly ever use it?

Thanks!

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Yes, true--if you rarely use the DVD drive, there's no point in loading Drivespeed.

Of course, if 99% of the time the DVD drive is turned off, then it's not a very big issue, is it? :D

In any case, I don't know any other way to do it. If you don't want Drivespeed resident in memory, then you'll have to run it each time you want to use your DVD.

There may be other ways to accomplish what you want, but not with Drivespeed, AFAIK.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Towermax wrote:Yes, true--if you rarely use the DVD drive, there's no point in loading Drivespeed.

Of course, if 99% of the time the DVD drive is turned off, then it's not a very big issue, is it? :D
Yes you're right, it's not really too important. :)
In any case, I don't know any other way to do it. If you don't want Drivespeed resident in memory, then you'll have to run it each time you want to use your DVD.
OK, this is what I wanted to know. I thought that perhaps when Drivespeed was run it changed some internal setting in the DVD drive.
There may be other ways to accomplish what you want, but not with Drivespeed, AFAIK.
OK, thanks again!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 am

NoiseFreeGuy wrote: I just went to fire up Drivespeed now and it said "No CD-ROM drives found".
I just figured this problem out on my HTPC. I think it comes from installing only Drivespeed on a computer that doesn't have a proper ASPI layer. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the IDE controller and disk drive. I tried using different versions of DriveSpeed, still had the error.

I installed the whole Nero suite that I have (even though it's just a DVD drive, not a burner) and the problem went away.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:31 pm

jhhoffma wrote:
NoiseFreeGuy wrote: I just went to fire up Drivespeed now and it said "No CD-ROM drives found".
I just figured this problem out on my HTPC. I think it comes from installing only Drivespeed on a computer that doesn't have a proper ASPI layer....
I installed the whole Nero suite that I have (even though it's just a DVD drive, not a burner) and the problem went away.

Interesting.
I have pretty much the whole suite installed, but I think it's different with my system.

I just turned on the drive now (external) and then fired up Drivespeed. As expected, I didn't get the error message.
So in my case, when it says it can't find the drive, it's because it isn't turned on.

A couple of interesting things I see here in the settings:
For some strange reason I can set the CD read speed but not the DVD read speed.
Also, even though the spin down times settings go all the way to 2 seconds, I can't select one lower than 2 minutes.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:52 am

DVD Read speed, I think, can only be set when a DVD is in the drive. I saw the same thing when I was playing around this weekend. Then when I put in a DVD to see what would happen, the option appeared.

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:12 am

You may want to take a look at CD Bremse (CD Brake). I think it'll do what you want, but will cost you 5 Euros.

It's similar to Drivespeed, but offers the option to start with Windows, set your CD and DVD drive speeds, etc. and then exit.

The author is German, the web site is in German, and the install is in German. However, once installed, the program checks the language used in Windows and uses that language. So, it works in English on my system--I don't know about other languages.

You can download and use the program free, but to enable the autostart options, you must register and pay for the program.

Here's the web site:

http://www.cd-bremse.de/cdbremse.htm

Here's the download:

http://cdbremse.dyndns.org/CDBremse147.exe

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Towermax wrote:You may want to take a look at CD Bremse (CD Brake). I think it'll do what you want, but will cost you 5 Euros....
Here's the web site:

http://www.cd-bremse.de/cdbremse.htm

Here's the download:

http://cdbremse.dyndns.org/CDBremse147.exe
Thanks for the tip!

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:47 am

NoiseFreeGuy wrote: Thanks for the tip!
BTW, CD Bremse was recommended by several people at the CD Freaks forum--and I think they know what they're talking about. :)