2.5 minies in RAID 0

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fresh

2.5 minies in RAID 0

Post by fresh » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:32 am

With the help of silentpc's finest I achieved having silent computer, while still keeping its monsterlike performance abilities 8) . Last step was of course, finding the quietest HD drive. Samsung's 2.5 5400 RPM 80gb trully made my computer inaudible.

However, its slow speed is rather anoying. While playing Gothic 3 with overclocked 7600 gt, 1.5GB ddr rams in dual chanel at the speed 280 MHz, and overclocked opteron to 2.5 GHz game runs perfeclty. And everything would be OK, if I didnt have to wait a couple of minutes everytime, I load or restart the game.

I wouldn't sacrifice silence for anything, but am still thinking of improving performance without achieving higher dB. Since I tested lots and lots of 3.5 drives before discovering that none were silent enough, I decided not to put my foot on that field ever again. The only escape from slow read/write times would be RAID 0. Everything else should add noise to my sistem. I would like to hear from you guys, what are your experiences with 2.5 inch HDDs that have 7200RPM. Do any of you already have quiet 2.5 HDDs in RAID and if so, what are your opinions.

If anyone has better silent solution for HDD while maintaing reasonable speeds, please comment, so we can all benefit :)

10x in advance

Kepakko
Patron of SPCR

Post by Kepakko » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:42 am

I have two Hitachi 5K100s in RAID0 in my linux-box (planning to do Gallery-thingie soon) and they perform quite well. Quick hdparm -tT:

Code: Select all

/dev/md3:
 Timing cached reads:   1178 MB in  2.00 seconds = 588.27 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  152 MB in  3.00 seconds =  50.65 MB/sec
Of course they are quiet. Not silent but one can hardly hear them from 0.5m away.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:56 am

Hi fresh, have you tried any sort of HDD enclosure? I too don't find 3.5" HDD to be really quiet but I now have 5000AAKS in a Scythe Quiet Drive and it's pretty good. I'm impressed at the Quiet Drives ability to damp idle noise and to a fair extent seek noise too. In fact the seek noise is truly barely audible, more a case of I think I can hear it seeking and have to look at the LED to see for sure! The performance is pretty decent; 500GB on 3 platters with 16MB buffer and max read speed of near 90MB/sec!
Of course you even put a Raptor in a quiet drive, with a large case you could even have two Raptors in quiet drives in RAID 0.
A truly quiet system will use 2.5" drives and put them in enclosures! Not sure it's ever been tried but you might be able to put two 2.5" HDDs in one 3.5" HDD enclosure.
Seb

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 am

i just deal with the increased load times. its really the only thing thats slower with 2.5" drives. I can put up with a few extra seconds now and again for a large file load, to obtain complete silence.

fresh

Post by fresh » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:49 am

I 'used to' completly agree with you Aris. My computer runs perfectly for my needs, except for longer load times, however, I wouldn't get to the point that I am currently at, if it wasn't for my stubborn need to improve something now and then. :P

The idea of putting two 2.5 HDDs in a single 3.5 enclosure is neat. I might try that in near future, but I doubt I will ever try any 3.5 drive again, since I am quite spoiled regarding noise issues.

For the moment I am leaning toward the idea of getting two sata 2.5 7200 RPM drives and putting them in an enclosure activating RAID 0, but since my obsesion with having things silent is more of a hobby, than an urge I'm in no hurry. SSD discs are coming out with lightning speed, so I will probably wait for them to majorly effect price cuts in a platter drives.

Which 2.5 7200 RPM SATA drives would you recomend? I was hopping to get samsung 80gb, but didn't find any in SATA mode.[/quote]

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:19 am

I read several articles that show that RAID-0 does not make for a significantly improved single-user experience for things like desktop usage and game-loads. Artificial benchmarks often show very big improvements, BUT.... the conclusion is often something like this:

"The SR Office, High-End, and Gaming DriveMarks, however, all climb by less than 10%."

This is from this article:

http://faq.storagereview.com/SingleDriveVsRaid0

So if you are looking to RAID-0 as your savior, look elsewhere. One answer would something like the Gigabyte I-RAM card. It's a battery-backed RAM-disk using off-the-shelf RAM modules. Pre-load all your game files into that your load-times will be about as fast as they can be.

fresh

Post by fresh » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 am

VincentFox:

You made quite a point with the presented article. If what they claim is true, I wouldn't get my money worth by establishing RAID 0. It actually makes sense and puts benchmark programs that simulate HDD's speed at question, since its results of data transfer doesn't present the real picture, but only fastest possible transfer that applies to large single files, which isn't very common in everyday use (at least in my case). I don't mind waiting longer for 10 movies to be transfered from one disc to another, while waiting long for a game to start everytime I reload or restart makes me anxious.

Gigabyte's I-ram card is out of my price range, not to consider money spent for 4 gigs of ram.

I guess best solution would be to buy a 3.5 Samsung HD501LJ, which is said to be the quietest (hopping to see it reviewed on SPCR soon :) ), or 5000AAKS and put it in the box. But I guess I would spent a lot of money while struggling with insecurity of possibly not having silent sistem anymore.

At the moment I am still loking for a better solution. Thank you all for your answers and hope to see some more.

carlf

Partitions

Post by carlf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:05 am

You might want to try out some creative partitioning to speed up the system. I hadn't thought much about how partitioning affects performance before, but I recently stumbled across this site: Radified Partitioning Strategies. Basically a HDD is fastest when accessing data from the outer edge of the platters, so by creating a small partition for the OS + programs as the first partition on the drive, you get two advantages:
  • faster read/write speed (since the disk moves faster relative to the heads) and
  • shorter seek distances (since the partition is small), which translates to more IOPS.
I'm in the same boat since I'm planning a system based on 2x 160GB 2.5" HDDs. I intend to partition each into a ca. 16GB system partition and leave the rest for data that is not so critical to system performance (music, video, pictures, etc.). With 2 HDDs you could use 1 for the OS + swap and 1 for games. I certainly look forward to testing it out.

I have read that RAID1 can also improve read performance (but not write performance) if you have a decent controller. Small partitions + software RAID1 could be fun to try, though it might not be worth the effort.

alfred

Post by alfred » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:22 am

fresh wrote:I guess best solution would be to buy a 3.5 Samsung HD501LJ, which is said to be the quietest (hopping to see it reviewed on SPCR soon :) ), or 5000AAKS and put it in the box. But I guess I would spent a lot of money while struggling with insecurity of possibly not having silent sistem anymore.
One of my rigs is dedicated to HD video editing; here RAID-0 transfer rates for very large files (50~200GB each) are the key. I've posted some storage benchmarks here. Using 2 HD401LJ + 4 HD501LJ, all in fully-decoupled boxes (Scythe Quiet Drive x4, Nexus Drive-a-Way x1, SilenMaxx x1). All six drives are standing vertically on 20mm deep foam.

Believe me or not, these six drives make much less noise than a single Nexus 120mm fan at ±8 Volts. Temporarily stopping this fan divides overall noise by a factor 3 or 4. Now obviously, you'll need fanless PSU, VGA etc (and a very heavy no-aluminium server tower) to reproduce such results, but I guess you could try a single HD501LJ in a Scythe Quiet Drive. You'll get much faster loadtimes while gaming, and overall noise shouldn't be higher, provided your case has enough space to fully decouple the Scythe box.

fresh

Post by fresh » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:37 am

Alfred:

Hmm.... Very tempting. The speeds your RAID 0 is producing are so sexy 8) 320MB/s seemed like a fairy-tale before. I honestly can't believe, that 6 drives can be so quiet while imprisoned in Quiet Drive, but since you compared them to nexus 120mm at 8V, it seems like there is more to this.

This had me leaning towards buying Samsung HD321LJ and entombing it in a Quiet drive. I'm interested at the temperatures those drives are producing in your rig.

alfred

Post by alfred » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:04 am

I've been monitoring SMART temps a few hours before setting up the 4x HD501LJ RAID-0, as the ICH8R RAID controller won't pass the SMART values (as opposed to some hardware RAID controllers), so I spent the first day monitoring temps while I still could.

I got 38~42°C while all drives were mostly idle but the CPU was running at ±100% usage on both cores in a CPU benchmark for about one hour. Then, simultaneously running four HDD benchmarks on all four 501 for about three hours (in order to simulate a heavy HD video editing work) and still running the CPU benchmark, gave 45°C~48°C for three 501 drives that are located in the upper front of the server tower, while the one sitting in the lower front (next to both HD401LJ drives) gave 44°C~45°C; the lower region benefits from a better airflow. All tests done in a 20°C~23°C ambient room.

At the end of this three hours period, my moderately (3.40 GHz instead of 2.67) overclocked Conroe E6700 was ~72°C on both cores, while global CPU temperature was reported ~61°C; it's cooled by a passive Scythe Ninja, the single fan in the rig is a 120mm Nexus softmounted at the rear next to the Ninja and rpm-controlled by the motherboard (~600rpm in CPU-idle and ~1000rpm max in long CPU benchmarks). The PSU is a fanless Yesico 550W; the GPU is a fanless 7600GT. Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 motherboard.

My conclusion was that HDD temps would be ok in any situation with this single-fan setup, but I was a little afraid about the CPU temps (and power regulators located near the CPU socket too) so I downgraded the overclocking to 3.20 GHz, and lowered CPU voltages accordingly, as much as I could without creating instability. This resulted in a ±6°C gain on CPU temps.

I must say that this rig is both the most powerful and the quietest amongst the 6 computers I'm using for my work. Two years reading SPCR reviews and forums, buying and testing all sorts of components, made the job. Now obviously I could mod/rebuild all other PCs accordingly to what I've learned, but I think I'll just quieten each one when upgrading it. The loudest three are now in another room where I don't stay for long, and I spend most of the time using only the Conroe, as anything else producing some noise easily gets me irritated. Well yes, that's the bad side of reading SPCR :?

I would advise you to start with a single HD501LJ or HD160HJ in a decoupled Scythe Quiet Drive. I've been reading too many bad reports on the HD321KJ, and we still don't know for sure if it's always 2-platter, always 3-platter or a mix. If you're using more than one HDD in your rig, make sure to fully decouple both from the tower. You can gain some space by removing the lateral metallic plates on the Scythe boxes. Make sure to leave absolutely no air bubbles under the gel sheets while placing them to both sides of the internal metal cage of the Scythe box. Then check if your computer using habits would benefit from a two-drives RAID-0 as the userfiles partition (don't do it for your boot drive, you won't gain much anything).