Samsung F1 series hard drives w/1TB model

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oberbimbo

Post by oberbimbo » Sun May 18, 2008 1:41 am

From what I gathered (no personal experience though) the WD 640GB disk is pretty low noise and quite fast, better than even the Samsung, IIRC.

See http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14380

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 am

The 1TB drive has a noticeably faster transfer rate and is also noticeably louder than the 750GB drive. I found the 750GB drive to be silent even when on the default performance setting but I do house my drives on acoustic foam which helps. When I installed the 1TB in the same system the seek noise is noticeable although not especially bad. I will test the 1TB drive with Acoustic Management on to see how it compares. A graph of Transfer Rate data is below:

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 21, 2008 10:33 am

smilingcrow wrote:The 1TB drive has a noticeably faster transfer rate (...) than the 750GB drive.
Well, the 1TB does have 334GB platters (vs 250GB platters on the 750GB version AFAIK) ;)

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Yesterday received mine.
First impressions - its fast, its silent, its very cool, but...
it vibrates, no, it VIBRATES
Much worse than 501LJ

aztec

Post by aztec » Tue May 27, 2008 8:34 pm

alecmg wrote:Yesterday received mine.
First impressions - its fast, its silent, its very cool, but...
it vibrates, no, it VIBRATES
Much worse than 501LJ
:(

For some odd reados, my 500GB 501LJ is virbating more now than when I first got it. Its in a Scythe drive enclosure and I can feel the vibrations all around the drive casing.

*This is on a fresh install of Vista 64-bit Premium with indexing OFF.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Actually, when I took both of them out and rested them on a cheap case, they were quite on par with eachother.
And luckily, some foam + AC Silentium T2 Eco was able to cure this. So now I am a happy camper.

dragonfruit

Post by dragonfruit » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:48 am

I initially was going to purchase Samsung F1 500 GB, but after seeing on newegg and elsewhere how many failures occured, and that Samsung vibrates a lot, I switched my interest to WD Caviars, however I want it for both OS and data, so it would be annoying if it would freeze for 1-2 s and made cliking noises when parking.

I read in the reviews on the newegg.com about similar to WD 640 GB (the same parking of the head) Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB that:

"Do NOT attempt to use this drive for your OS, gaming, or real-time applications that may need to access the drive periodically. I was having an issue with 1-2 second freezes every few minutes while web browsing & gaming, and it was due to the IntelliPark feature of this drive. I now have two of them, and only use them for media storage. I use other drives (WD Caviar, Raptor, and Seagate Barracudas) for OS/gaming/application drives."

"Put this drive into a new system build and noticed that the build was making a strange noise. A tiny bit of pressure on the top of the case killed the noise. Seems this drive was creating a vibration when active that was translating into noise from the case. Tried another drive in the case, WD SE16, the noise stopped. Put in a different GP drive and the same noise."

"The seek noise is very perceptible. Not annoyingly loud, but distinct, even through a closed Antec case. This might be because the rest of the system is very quiet, but I was expecting better, after having read the reviews for this drive. I'll probably try a Samsung next."

I also read somewhere (can't find now quickly) that when parking the head it makes annoying cliking noise.

Have you experienced the same problem with Caviar 640 GB WD6400AAKS?
And what about vibration?

What are your experiences regarding that, particularly in 640 GB Caviar? Does it freeze like GP? What about clicking when parking?
In test it seems to be equal in performance to Samsung F1 (but it was 1 TB not 500 GB they were testing I think):
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14380/15

samuelmorris

Post by samuelmorris » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Is this of genuine concern? Most people I Ask who don't own the drive say it's a SMART error, and therefore I should RMA the drive. However, there seems to be widespread discussion about a possible misdiagnosis due to unrecognised information via certain chipsets. Does anyone know anything about this?
I'm using a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 motherboard.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm

I've received two bad new wd drives in the last couple of months from newegg - a 1tb and a 320gb (two platter version). Although I've had very good luck(?) with wd in the last 20 years, the closeness of the bad drives has me wondering if there is a quality control problem at wd. Their profits are currently under pressure also, but this has happened several times over the years.

I've had no problems with 400gb and 500gb samsungs or 320gb seagates. In fact, other than a hitachi going bad in an overheating dell laptop, I haven't had a drive failure since the 1980s (mfm drives).

So as far as taking a risk with the samsung 1tb, I don't think it's any more iffy than wd.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:35 am

samuelmorris wrote: Is this of genuine concern? Most people I Ask who don't own the drive say it's a SMART error, and therefore I should RMA the drive. However, there seems to be widespread discussion about a possible misdiagnosis due to unrecognised information via certain chipsets. Does anyone know anything about this?
My HD103UJ doesn't show that error, but it's on a completely different motherboard.

It may well be nothing of any real importance, but I think if I were you I'd be inclined to play it safe and RMA it, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 am

Maybe email them and ask if it's a significant metric before RMAing... they may be able to tell you what it actually means.

nafets

Post by nafets » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:01 am

Last edited by nafets on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

seemingly.random

Post by seemingly.random » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:56 am

If the diagnostic doesn't give a more accurate attribute description than <vendor-specific>, it probably doesn't know how to interpret it - good or bad. B7, BB and BC should be in question also.

nafets

Post by nafets » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:16 pm

Last edited by nafets on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzombi

Post by zzombi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm

"My HD103UJ doesn't show that error, but it's on a completely different motherboard."

What's the motherboard got to do with a SMART attribute value?

I'd agree try a different smart reading soft. Hdtune can interpret them do (nice quick and small program), besides several others.

Judging hdd reliability by the number dead on arrival does't seem right, as brutal transport can trash them easily.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 am

Gah! I finally installed my two Samsung 1TB drives in my server after sitting on a shelf for a month or three (in the words of Homer Simpson "if it's worth doing today, it's worth doing tomorrow").

I tried copying an 8GB file from one to the other, found I was getting 8MB/sec read from one of the two drives. Confirmed this with HDTune, 8MB/sec and 99% CPU utilisation. It was like being back in the 90's, *so* retro.

After much fiddling and swapping of SATA cables it seems that having the drive on the same IDE channel as my SATA DVD drive was knocking the transfer speed down to PIO.

WTF gives?! I mean really what the hell? I thought the whole point of SATA was to get away from having to worry about what's primary, what's secondary, and what's on the same chain as what else?!

Not a happy bunny.

</rant>

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Was your SATA controller set to AHCI? Emulating IDE, was your optical drive running UDMA?

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Cerb wrote:Was your SATA controller set to AHCI?
Nope.
Emulating IDE, was your optical drive running UDMA?
It's running UDMA now, but was in PIO mode when on the same channel as the Samsung drives.

Deeds69

Re: Samsung F1 series hard drives 750 gb

Post by Deeds69 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:29 am

Hi Can anybody help?

I bought a SpinPoint F1 750gb HDD and have mounted it in a Sumvision sata enclosure, the drive is showing as a mass storage unit via the USB 2.0 connection but I can't seem to find it in MY Computer or anywhere else. I want to transfer stored data from my internal 200gb HDD to free up space and keep my media (Videos, Pictures, Music etc) on the external drive to build up a library. Am I being thick and missing something?

Cheers

Dave D

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 am

Deeds69 wrote:Hi Can anybody help?

I bought a SpinPoint F1 750gb HDD and have mounted it in a Sumvision sata enclosure, the drive is showing as a mass storage unit via the USB 2.0 connection but I can't seem to find it in MY Computer or anywhere else. I want to transfer stored data from my internal 200gb HDD to free up space and keep my media (Videos, Pictures, Music etc) on the external drive to build up a library. Am I being thick and missing something?

Cheers

Dave D
Did you partition and format it? Check if it appears in Disk Management you run Windows. If you have Win2k/XP, click Start/Run, enter "diskmgmt.msc", if you have Vista, just click Start and enter "diskmgmt.msc" in the Search field. Does it show up there?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi,
I've had samsung F1 1TB drive for the past month. It's doing fine. I use it for storage (photos, videos and a little music) and Linux is intalled in an extended partition. Runs without any problems and no SMART errors are reported.
From my perspective, it's a good investment.

PS : But I have to admit that if I'd read this thread before buying it (was an impulsive buy) I wouldn't have bought it.

Deeds69

Post by Deeds69 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Yes it shows as Disk 1 and unallocated where my C; drive shows as Disk 0 and Primary? I have formated the drive now as F: using the primary partion format function running XP professional. Should it now show up and allow me to transfer Data?

The other baffeling thing is when I switch the drive on it says there are faster USB sockets available but which ever 1 I try I get the same message. It's a coolermaster elite 330 case running P4 on an asrock mb?

Sorry not very literate when it comes to the tech side..

Thanks

Dave D

lowpowercomputing wrote:
Deeds69 wrote:Hi Can anybody help?

Cheers

Dave D
Did you partition and format it? Check if it appears in Disk Management you run Windows. If you have Win2k/XP, click Start/Run, enter "diskmgmt.msc", if you have Vista, just click Start and enter "diskmgmt.msc" in the Search field. Does it show up there?

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:51 pm

I purchased the 1TB model today. My vendor was asking which chipset I was using. Apparently, this drive is incompatible with nvidia chipsets.

Could this be the reason for the complaints?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 am

I have an nividia chipset... No problem at all with the drive !!!

Bursk

Post by Bursk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Can anyone tell me how to run ES-Tool without a floppy drive?

Bursk

Post by Bursk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 am

Anyone? I've just bought this drive and really need to test it properly before I feel confident using it.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 am

How about on a CD ?

marius7

Post by marius7 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 am

Any news about the next HDD family from Samsung (Spinpoint F2)? When can we see an 500 GB per platter ?

lobuni

Post by lobuni » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 am

Last year they were talking about releasing a 4 platter 1.5 TB drive in 2008. But since Samsung usually issues a press release several months before actual availability, I don't think we are going to see anything new soon.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 pm

My Samsung HD753LJ now has a Reallocated Sector Count of 97, where the threshold is 10.

According to Speedfan's explanation, "your hard disk has 151 reallocated sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced)".

Can anyone explain to me what that is? I would assume 97 is a percentage of spare sectors still available and 10 to be the percentage when SMART would generate the warning. This really sucks because the drive is only 6 months old and already reallocated sectors. None of my 500GB Western Digitals have this problem. If I lose my 1TB Samsung as well, I will be genuinely pissed.

Anyone else have this issue of Samsung drives rapidly developing bad sectors and hence reallocated sector count?