WD3200KS now my loudest part?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndeeG

WD3200KS now my loudest part?

Post by AndeeG » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:47 pm

After installing my coolermaster hyper tx 2, it seems like by far my loudest part is a wd3200ks. Aside from those two, the only other noise-making components in my system are a yate loon d12sl-12, an hx520, and an ASUS x1950pro. The yate loon and Hyper TX both run at 50% (controlled by speedfan) most of the time as that cools sufficiently for surfing, music, and warcraft 3. When I touch my finger to each fan to stop it, I can just barely tell a difference in noise level but not enough that I could really tell if I wasn't paying attention. I haven't tried stopping the hx520 fan because it has a fan guard but it appears to be spinning very slowly and the noise seems to be coming from the hard drive anyway.

Should my hard drive be making this much noise? I was always under the impression that it should be essentially silent unless you have it hard mounted or it's seeking. Do I just have a dud or is this normal? Also, is there anything I can do to silence it beyond my SOLO's suspension system without buying a separate silencing enclosure?

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:45 pm

Nope, get a separate enclosure and you'll be good to go.

What separates the insane (in a good way!) 'silent' pc users and the sane ones is that most of the sane ones will tolerate the noise of a 3.5'' drive, while the others will be ticked off by these noises and make the jump to a 2.5'' drive.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:45 am

Or an SSD that costs a small fortune. Sign that sane/insane distinction, but would like to add that sane ones tolerate a good 3.5" HDD. No one should be asked to tolerate a Barracuda. :wink:

If you already have it suspended and have cranked up the AAM then there's little else you can do but get an enclosure.