New Workstation (Whine)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dazrin
Friend of SPCR

New Workstation (Whine)

Post by Dazrin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:57 pm

I just got done building a semi-quiet home PC and today I just got a new workstation at work for use as a CAD machine.

E6700
4 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 1500 (256 MB)
150 GB Raptor

I am so very glad when I built my home PC that I skipped the Raptor. The seeks are NOISY! The Quadra isn't too bad after it gets going, but when it starts and ramps up it is very noisy. I can hear the one 92 mm system fan (or maybe it is the CPU fan) all the time. Grrr.

If only they would let me mod this thing. Plenty of room for a suspension mount, maybe a vid card cooler...

You all have corrupted me... Thanks!

<Edit - I probably should have put this in another forum, but the Raptor is the worst offender here and was really driving me crazy when I started writing.>

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:37 pm

Suspending will reduce vibration but will not eliminate the whine. You should look at an enclosure, that should help with the cooling as well.

I just voided the warranty of my new seasonic psu to switch the fan. I`m freaking out because now I can hear my wd scorpio (a quiet 5400rpm drive) in an enclosure filled with sound absorbing material. Leave while you can, there is no way out of this.