Should I be worried by this SMART report ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

taidi

Should I be worried by this SMART report ?

Post by taidi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:43 am

Using the on-line diagnostic tool from Speedfan I got this alarming report...

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowrepor ... n=DE1A8CB3

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

:o

I ran Seagate's short test and the drive passed, - HDTune's health check also gives the drive an OK result.

Running WinXP Home and have encountered no problems, except that the DiskMon utility shows a constant stream of writes to the drive when there should be minimal activity.

All the usual malware checks have been done.

Any opinions about what could be causing the strange report from HDDStatus ?

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:48 am

HDDStatus mixes up positive and negative values and short and long integers or smtg.

Sentence "your hard disk has 65535 pending sectors" means actually something alike "we forgot that unsigned 2byte integer is limited to 65535 and we forgot that RAW values are not standardized and we could'nt imagine that RAW values can be signed 4byte integers".

This value 4294967295 is actually 4byte representation of -1 (FFFFFFFF on hexadecimal). IMHO this means that no sectors are about to reallocate :)

You don't need to worry about your HDD status. Well, "Hardware ECC recovered" attribute value (57) is somewhat lower than expected, but nothing serious.

taidi

Post by taidi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 am

Hey thanks for the reassurance Arvo - the explanation is a bit over my head but it's a comfort to know my drive isn't about to curl up and die :)

It seems there is no way to contact the owners of the HDDStatus site - if their disagnostics are giving out false negatives about people's hardware they need to be made aware of it.

I'll run Seagate's long test overnight....just to be on the safe side of confident.

Edit: Speedfan's 'system' readout for ECC Recovered is...
Value - 72, Worst - 52, RAW 00009865C28

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Just because a drive passes the manufacturers’ diagnostic routine doesn’t mean that it isn’t getting close to failing. Isn’t the point of SMART to catch drives before they fail?

I recently RMA’d a 3 year old Samsung drive as one of the SMART attributes was showing this data:

Spin Up Time:
Current 66
Worst 29
Threshold 0
Data 5824

The other data was fine and it passed the Samsung diagnostic test but they replaced it anyway with a turn around of 3 working days.

taidi

Post by taidi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:53 am

smilingcrow wrote:Just because a drive passes the manufacturers’ diagnostic routine doesn’t mean that it isn’t getting close to failing. Isn’t the point of SMART to catch drives before they fail?.
You would think so - but the implication on Seagate's website is that if the drive passes their diagnostic test a warranty exchange isn't available. This drive passed the long test I ran last night.

There seems to be no facility to report SMART readings that suggest the drive might be close to failure.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:01 am

taidi wrote:You would think so - but the implication on Seagate's website is that if the drive passes their diagnostic test a warranty exchange isn't available. This drive passed the long test I ran last night.

There seems to be no facility to report SMART readings that suggest the drive might be close to failure.
I was very surprised that Samung replaced the drive. I phoned them to confirm their email as its contents weren’t explicit enough for me to be 100% sure. I had told them that the drive passed their diagnostic check.
Who knows if this is typical of Samsung UK or Samsung Worldwide and how the other drive manufacturers handle this situation.

The irony is that I only noticed the SMART data because the motherboard was failing and I initially thought the drive (or O/S install) was the problem. I have to confess to almost never checking SMART data but I will in future and might even run a background utility set to check the once a day or so.