IBM Deskstar RMA Questions

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DarkNMSS

IBM Deskstar RMA Questions

Post by DarkNMSS » Thu May 01, 2003 7:16 pm

I've been having some problems with my IBM Deskstar 60GXP for some time now, and have finally run the DFT (Drive Fitness Test) on it to see if it was dead. Turns out that it has a critical failure and should be returned for fixing. I was wondering if any one has had some experience with RMAing hard drives. I'm in Canada and must ship the product to the States. The Hitachi people said that it would be best to return the drive using UPS, but I've heard that shipping through UPS costs a lot of money. Can someone tell me how much it cost them to RMA a hard drive from Vancouver to California? By the way, will they give me a new drive (hoping for a 180GXP) or will I just get a refurbished 60GXP which would mean it's not worth sending the drive to get it fixed, as I'm certain it will die again. Can someone please explain to me the process that takes place when returning a hard drive? Also, what is all this stuff about customs brokerage fees and the sort? I've never sent packages to the US before. Should I send it back or just buy a new Seagate drive? Finally, where would be the best place to find a proper box and rubber foam to place the drive into as I don't want to void my warranty by sending it wrong? TIA.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 01, 2003 7:30 pm

I sent my 30G IBM 75GXP well packed but by parcel post. Probably took weeks to get it there and back but I didn't notice because I had saved the data and was using another drive. I got a 30G Hitachi 180GXP in return, brand new. There are no issues with customs, as IBM will mark it as a warranty repair. If customs wants to charge you, say no and dispute it. Will take a few more days to clear but it is better than paying first and then trying to reclaim the $. For obvious reasons: once they have your $...

IMO, nothing to fear.

DarkNMSS

Post by DarkNMSS » Thu May 01, 2003 8:34 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about mailing packages. Is parcel post something you do through Canada Post? Also, is it okay if I format the drive before sending it off to them? So what you're saying is that when I send the package to Hitachi, I don't have to pay for customs brokerage fees? And if they contact me, I tell them that it's a hard drive for warranty repairs with Hitachi/IBM?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 01, 2003 8:46 pm

Lithium
Patron of SPCR

Post by Lithium » Thu May 01, 2003 10:46 pm

From another fourm but very fitting

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Fastman » Fri May 02, 2003 8:59 am

I have just shipped a dead deathstar (deskstar) HD for replacement.

Shipping from Canada to US was a pain.

UPS requires you to fill out 2 or 3 separate forms. My wife attempted to ship this and phoined me to get some of the values. When i got home, i managed to find all of the qrequired details other than a FCC:id and another 2 or 3 details. It was going to cost $20 for ground shipping ($50 for air).

Canada Post does not do international tracking. (MikeC, how did you handle that part?)

We ended up driving to Point Roberts (near Tsawwassen) and shipping UPS ground from there for US$7 Probably saved 2 or 3 days on shipping as well.

As for packing, either scrounge from your home/office collection or head to your neighbourhood shipping centre and buy static bag,foam and box.

My phone call to them mentioned that they are picky about packaging and to follow the details. http://www.hgst.com/warranty/jsp/arma25h.jsp provides detailed packing instructions.

If mike had not mentioned something earlier about RMA'ing the drive, i probably would have thrown it out.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri May 02, 2003 10:00 am

Don, I didn't bother with tracking. Just sent it the cheapest way possible with lots of packing. I thinking the new drive came in 3-4 weeks from Singapore (unless I am getting confused with some other drive...).

I like your sig, by the way. ;)

DarkNMSS

Post by DarkNMSS » Fri May 02, 2003 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Donald.

When you send things internationally, does no tracking mean that the item isn't insured to arrive at your destination? I just don't want the HDD to get lost if I send it without tracking. I will look into both UPS and Canada Post and see which one is better.

Thanks.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Fri May 02, 2003 4:27 pm

I sent both of mine Xpresspost - about $20 Canadian.

No problem.

Takes about a month, but once they get around to it, the RMA comes back UPS next day, so no "brokerage fees".

Sent 60GXP about a year ago, got 60GXP back. You may have better luck.

DarkNMSS

Post by DarkNMSS » Fri May 02, 2003 4:30 pm

Thanks Riffer,

I think I'll try sending it by Xpresspost, since it's guaranteed to be delivered. Thanks for everyone's help.

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Fri May 02, 2003 10:43 pm

I've RMA'd about 10 IBM drives from Ontario. I think I used both UPS and Expresspost. The biggest thing is to make sure you have insurance against damage and the ability to track the package.

I think all but the most basic methods have insurance against it being lost or stolen, but without a tracking number you have no proof that you sent the package, which almost screwed me one time... And the insurance for damage may seem stupid, but if they receive the drive with any physical damage they don’t know if you did that or if it happened in shipment.

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Fastman » Sat May 03, 2003 8:07 pm

I think a shipping company would have to have tracking to allow insurance. Otherwise, they could have claims of non-delivery even though it was delivered. Maybe some of them don't bother with this though.

According to Canda post http://www.canadapost.ca/scripts/rc/USR ... ParcelRate

The following shows the rate(s) for a parcel of 8.00in x 6.00in x 3.00in weighing 1.0000Kg, shipping from Vancouver,BC to California

U.S.A. Letter Post Small Packet (Surface)
Base Price: 7.40 Delivery Confirmation: N/A
Total: $7.40

U.S.A. Letter Post Small Packet (Air)
Base Price: 9.90 Delivery Confirmation: N/A
Total: $9.90

PuroPak (1 business days)
Base Price: 38.35 Delivery Confirmation: Included
Total: $38.35

UPS price was about $20 for ground shipping, with tracking.

:)I would rather have the assurance of tracking. (plus its interesting to see the route the package takes on its cross country tour.)

:idea: If you are in a hurry, sending it next day air (UPS, Purolator, FedEx) would certainly speed things up..

MikeC, glad you like the signature.

DarkNMSS

Post by DarkNMSS » Sat May 03, 2003 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Donald. I'm probably going to send it to Hitachi using XpressPost to USA. It's about $15Cdn and has tracking. It's going to take 6-9 days, but I don't mind. How heavy is a Hard drive anyways? I'm just going to head to a Canada Post Outlet with the packaged HDD and send it off. Hope it's just that simple. Can't stand the sound of my HDD anymore, I'm going insane. Just gotta get my RMA number, print that sucker out, and send it off.

Thanks.