Plextor PX-810SA - recommended

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ojg
Friend of SPCR

Plextor PX-810SA - recommended

Post by ojg » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:06 am

I just want to chime in with some info that might interest someone searching this site for info. I just bought a Plextor PX-810SA and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was during DVD playback, practically silent. So I can highly recommend it for a HTPC.

I haven't been able to do a lot of burn tests with it yet, but it is definately not quiet while ripping or burning, but then which is?

http://www.plextor-europe.com/products/ ... e=PX-810SA

Regards, OJG

gmat

Post by gmat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 pm

I am still using a Plextor Ultraplex, which is still the most silent drive i have had compared to countless others from different brands... It was built like a tank, so no vibration !
I also have a 716SA for DVD duties, indeed it's not silent while burning or ripping DVD's, but when reading again at 1x it's perfect.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Well, the same "quiet with movies" argument goes for a lot of the other drives. My friend's LG can do it, my old LG could do it, my new Samsung does it... and they're all noisy with other discs. So I might recommend them just as well based on this loose definition, but I don't, because they are certainly not silent enough.

Hope there would be improvement in areas besides DVD playback already.

gmat

Post by gmat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:49 am

Well why i mentioned the Plextor is because i've had drives from LG, Nec, Yamaha, Pioneer... and all are way more noisy in normal reading (data reading) than the Plextor which remains a lot quieter. Besides they all died after 1 or 2 years of heavy use, the Plextor is still alive and as quiet as before (although it is becoming picky on the quality of CDs !). So it's a win for MP3 or DivX reading for example..

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:09 am

Great, but just a question of control. All the drives I've used have done a good job of keeping read noise to a minimum with random reads and DVD playback.

Buzzsaw spins seem to have become a thing of the past. Now it's time we get some proper vibration damping and speed control.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am

This Plextor is a Pioneer drive.