Opinions : Hitachi Deskstar 7k160

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crazyox

Opinions : Hitachi Deskstar 7k160

Post by crazyox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 pm

I read about this drive and a german mag rated it as the quietest drive, but I have seen no confirmation. The model I am looking at is Hitachi deskstar 7K160 and is the 160 Gb model (there is also an 80 Gb model, and I would also like to know if it is even quieter)

Does anyone know anything about this drive. Also, please state what drive you have been most happy with in terms of both idle noise and seek noise. I am looking for something that is essentially inaudible once placed in something like the Scythe silencer. (recommendation for silencer products is also welcome. Thanks!

Felger Carbon

Re: Opinions : Hitachi Deskstar 7k160

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:04 am

crazyox wrote:I read about this drive and a german mag rated it as the quietest drive, but I have seen no confirmation. The model I am looking at is Hitachi deskstar 7K160 and is the 160 Gb model (there is also an 80 Gb model, and I would also like to know if it is even quieter)
StorageReview.com agrees (actually, their noise measurements on various HDDs spoke for them - they did not select a winner). Both are single-platter HDDs. The 160 has two heads and uses both sides of the platter for data, the 80 one head - so no, the 80 is not quieter.

The 7K160 is not a magic bullet. It does not leap tall buildings in a single bound. It is merely the quietest 3.5" 7200RPM HDD I know of, and the quietest StorageReview measured. It was developed by a Chinese firm for Chinese Tivo-like applications, and OEMed by Hitachi originally; Hitachi is now making them itself, in a factory in the same Chinese city as the original designer company! Honest! :D

It would be interesting to speculate how close the two factories, with separate ownerships, are. Are they on the same block? In the same building?

crazyox

Post by crazyox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:02 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
crazyox wrote:I read about this drive and a german mag rated it as the quietest drive, but I have seen no confirmation. The model I am looking at is Hitachi deskstar 7K160 and is the 160 Gb model (there is also an 80 Gb model, and I would also like to know if it is even quieter)
StorageReview.com agrees (actually, their noise measurements on various HDDs spoke for them - they did not select a winner). Both are single-platter HDDs. quote]

So would these be quieter than by Barracuda 7200.7 drives.

Thanks.

chew-z

Post by chew-z » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:04 am

crazyox wrote: I read about this drive and a german mag rated it as the quietest drive, but I have seen no confirmation.
I own Hitachi SATA 160GB HDS721616PLA380 and 320GB HDT725032vla360. 320GB is quiet but 160GB starts squeking when hotter. Similiar to 40GB Hitachi I owned before.