Boot from SD Card?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crazyox

Boot from SD Card?

Post by crazyox » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:01 pm

For pure silent storage, is it possible to boot from a mermory card? I want to be able to boot into windows 98 to run a low resource application, so the amount of memory would be no issue.

Auriga

Post by Auriga » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:55 pm

It is possible to boot from certain CF cards, which is handy since their interface is very similar to IDE. I haven't been successful yet in doing so, but I've heard it has been done.

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Yeah, here's one recent thread: viewtopic.php?t=44911

michaelb

Post by michaelb » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm

I'd like to boot Ubuntu or Xubuntu from an SD card, probably using my USB adapter.

So far haven't got it to work, but haven't put much time into it.

I want to use the "Live" version, which loads the OS into memory, ordinarily from CD or DVD. I don't want to allow writes to the SD card. That's why I want to use SD, which has a write protect switch on it.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to install things like Javascript support for Firefox to the SD, but that may be a lot of trouble to get to work.

If I ever get it working, I'll post to this forum, and if anyone does similar, please let us know.

trident

Post by trident » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm

You may want to look at "Disk On Module" flash storage. They are about the size of a mini BIC lighter and plug direct on the motherboard, 128MB to 4GB, about the same cost as a CF card + adapter, but they have wear leveling built in.

Rebellious

easy

Post by Rebellious » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 pm

michaelb wrote:I'd like to boot Ubuntu or Xubuntu from an SD card, probably using my USB adapter.

So far haven't got it to work, but haven't put much time into it.

I want to use the "Live" version, which loads the OS into memory, ordinarily from CD or DVD. I don't want to allow writes to the SD card. That's why I want to use SD, which has a write protect switch on it.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to install things like Javascript support for Firefox to the SD, but that may be a lot of trouble to get to work.

If I ever get it working, I'll post to this forum, and if anyone does similar, please let us know.

Just run Ubuntu 7.10 from CD and install to USB flash drive, takes ~20 minutes. If you want the card to be bootable, select that option during installation. If you don't want Ubuntu to mess with your Windows disk bootsector, you can temporarily disable your HD controller in BIOS, effectively hiding your HD during the install, then Ubuntu will by default make the flash drive bootable.

To boot Ubuntu, insert card in USB slot and in BIOS bootup select to boot from USB. That way you don't even need to create a dual boot setup. The card will actually attempt to boot on ANY machine you insert it . . .

michaelb

Re: easy

Post by michaelb » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Rebellious wrote:If you don't want Ubuntu to mess with your Windows disk bootsector, you can temporarily disable your HD controller in BIOS, effectively hiding your HD during the install, then Ubuntu will by default make the flash drive bootable.
Thanks, will have to try that. Or if can't find in BIOS, will just disconnect the hard drive.

Really want a "Live USB" though, as I want the write protect not just to keep the flash from being destroyed, but also for security.

So far I've tried:

Ubuntu/Xubuntu - Live from CD or DVD is great, except noise of the CD, and I need java support.
If I install it to a USB stick (really, the SD card in USB adapter) won't it want to write to itself every time it boots?
I guess I'll try it anyway, when have time. If regular, installed (not Live) Ubuntu actually doesn't need to write to the boot partition, then this would be ideal, as I could install whatever extras I need, have my favorite Linux flavor, security with write protect switch, and no noise.

Knoppix - Live from CD or DVD is good, except for noise of the CD. Has the java support I need already installed.
I tried to copy the Live CD onto the SD and boot from it, but didn't work.

Debian Live - Copied the Live USB image onto my SD, and was able to get the boot screen, but couldn't find kernal image.
Haven't yet tried the Live CD, to see if even like the distro.

MCN Live (Mandriva) - Small enough for me to load into RAM, so I don't need USB. (For those interested, this is supposed to be "USB Live" friendly, listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB and isn't supposed to write to the boot USB by default.) I don't really like this distro though.

Rebellious

why write-protect?

Post by Rebellious » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:59 am

I'm no expert in Linux, but I don't think you want to write-protect the bootable flash drive, Ubuntu needs to write settings, configuration, swap, updated drivers, etc. It will still be silent regardless. I'm using an A-data 4GB Class 6 SDHC and it boots and runs just as fast as a hard disk.

sanse

Re: Boot from SD Card?

Post by sanse » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:12 am

crazyox wrote:For pure silent storage, is it possible to boot from a mermory card? I want to be able to boot into windows 98 to run a low resource application, so the amount of memory would be no issue.
yes.

i mounted a sandisk ulta II 2gb compactflash card in my rig through a cf-to-ide-adapter. the disk was made bootable with the fixboot command of the windows recovery console and then i copied an ultimate boot cd for windows (www.ubcd4win.com) installation on it.

this way i have a rescue/maintenance system with all sorts of utilities at hand. bootspeed is acceptable, but much slower than from the wd raptor.

i started with a sandisk extreme IV cf-card, but that gave compatibility problems. by using a slower ultra II card that was solved.