Western Digital 1TB green drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Western Digital 1TB green drive

Post by elec999 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:00 am

I got a nice deal on a Western Digital hard drive on boxing day. It was external but I opened it and took out the hard drive, and put in the computer directly. It is the 10EACS. First impression, the hard drive is a bit quitter then other Westerns I have used, but the seek sound is still there. I used the Hitachi tools to set the AAM to 128, the hard drive now becomes almost silent, can still hear it but barely. The only problem the hard drive transfer rates become terribly slow, and also feels slow.
Thanks

bob548

Post by bob548 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:51 pm

elec999 wrote:I got a nice deal on a Western Digital hard drive on boxing day. It was external but I opened it and took out the hard drive, and put in the computer directly. It is the 10EACS. First impression, the hard drive is a bit quitter then other Westerns I have used, but the seek sound is still there. I used the Hitachi tools to set the AAM to 128, the hard drive now becomes almost silent, can still hear it but barely. The only problem the hard drive transfer rates become terribly slow, and also feels slow.
Thanks
Might I ask which external drive you bought and how you opened it? I haven't figured out a way to crack open my MyBook Essential Edition (USB only) without damaging the enclosure.
Last edited by bob548 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:38 am

bob548 wrote:Might I ask which external drive you bought and how you opened it? I haven't figured out a way to crack open my MyBook Essential Edition (USB only) without damaging the enclosure.
There are clips are all around the enclosure, you just need to be careful. I used a putty knife.
Thanks

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 am

What I can't understand is that they sell the USB only My Book much cheaper than the GP, and they're using the same drive. $270 vs. $350 and they give you the enclosure too. Here the difference is smaller, 40 euros, and the external has a 2 year warranty against 3 years of the GP.

I think I'll get one and hack it too! :)

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:12 pm

WD seems to do that. I bought a 2.5" WD portable as an emergency replacement for a laptop locally a few months ago. 120GB for $89 as a portable, or $149 retail boxed drive. Hmmm, tough choice. Stripped the enclosure and put a Hitachi 40gb in it, lol.

Thanks for the info, I'll be watching for MyBook sales locally...

-Evan