Fast and quiet

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Asulc

Fast and quiet

Post by Asulc » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 am

I would really like to get a hd that is really fast, while still being quiet. Are the 10,000 rpm drives really loud, and are there 7,200 drives that seem to be faster than that?

aaa

Post by aaa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:32 am

Solid state drive, if you can find one that's both cheap and fast.

Fast in what way? The 10k drives have the lowest latency, which would result in faster windows startup and the like. On the other hand, when accessing one big file (like video), the biggest 7200 rpm drives are the same speed as the 10k ones (about 80MB/s).

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Loud in what way? Quiet in what way? Fast in what way?

My personal experience is that a 150GB Raptor yields little or no noticeable extra performance than a 750GB 7.2k drive in everyday use. The Raptor is however noticeably louder (especially on seeks). Though you may not hear it depending on what else in in your system (which you didn't specify).

Asulc

Post by Asulc » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:25 pm

aaa wrote:Solid state drive, if you can find one that's both cheap and fast.

Fast in what way? The 10k drives have the lowest latency, which would result in faster windows startup and the like. On the other hand, when accessing one big file (like video), the biggest 7200 rpm drives are the same speed as the 10k ones (about 80MB/s).
I want faster windows boot times. That is my main problem. If with that I could get faster load times of games, that would be great. The biggest videos I will be loading are only on my computer to be imported to my ipod (family guy, maybe an occasional movie).
nutball wrote:Loud in what way? Quiet in what way? Fast in what way?

My personal experience is that a 150GB Raptor yields little or no noticeable extra performance than a 750GB 7.2k drive in everyday use. The Raptor is however noticeably louder (especially on seeks). Though you may not hear it depending on what else in in your system (which you didn't specify).
Loud as in all around loud, constant, and annoying tones/pitches. I would like to not be able to hear (if possible) the drive unless it is loading.
My Computer (In progress)
P182
Nexus or Scythe Fans
Zalman 9500 on a intel e6600 (maybe getting quad core)
Asus p5n32-e mobo
8800 gts 640mb (I will be upgrading if the 9xxx are any good)
I may be adding acoustic dampening
PCPC 750 quad

Please let me know if you need any other information

Brians256

Post by Brians256 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I have booted from a Gigabyte i-Ram card and that is the fastest thing I've ever seen. It still doesn't make XP load instantly. I haven't tried Linux on it. It's only 4GB, but that's enough to load an OS if it hasn't been bloated too badly (programs started at boot time, etc...).