Samsung Spinpoint - Vibrating/Pulsing Loud

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mug2k

Samsung Spinpoint - Vibrating/Pulsing Loud

Post by mug2k » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi

I just installed my new SATA 400gb Samsung Spinpoint HDD and it has a constant/pulsing vibrating hum. Is this usual and is there anything I can do to make it quieter ?. I tried some silicon washers but it hasn't really made any difference. I currently have 4 HDDs at the moment. Is there anything I can do that won't cost me money ??

Thanks,
Marcus

bkh

Post by bkh » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:22 pm

What you describe is likely your case resonating with the disk vibration -- which is particularly pronounced with multi-drive systems.

The usual SPCR antidote for this is suspension (hang the drive in a basket of strong elastic so that it doesn't touch the metal of your case). Try searching this site for "suspension" to get tips on how folks have done it.

wim

Post by wim » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm

also with multiple hard drives its common to get a 'beating' effect caused by the combination of more than one close, but unequal, frequencies (i.e. the sound of each drive spinning at 7200 plus-or-minus something rpm)

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 pm

wim wrote:also with multiple hard drives its common to get a 'beating' effect caused by the combination of more than one close, but unequal, frequencies (i.e. the sound of each drive spinning at 7200 plus-or-minus something rpm)
Wim is correct. Let me add, the way two disks "couple" to create a beat-note is via common metal mounting plates. The way to uncouple the drives is to not use metal mounting plates. Suspension is the most common way to accomplish this.

Alas, the metal mounting plates - the HDD "cage" - conducts heat away from the HDDs. Removing the mounting plates hots up your drives, leading to a need for more spot-cooling. Some folks add big fans blowing at the HDDs when suspended. For another approach, see my recent review in the "User Reviews" forum on the Nexus Frizzbee and the Logitec HC102.

kaange

Post by kaange » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 pm

The Samsung HDDs are well known for having very quiet seeks but quite a lot of vibration. Even a single one can cause a case to vibrate/hum noticably.

Felger is spot on about suspension being the most common way to deal with this because it is cheap and effective. Gromments are usually too thin or hard to effecttively suspend drive and washers won't do anything as the screw still contacts both the case and the drive.

With so many drives, the simplest solution may be to make a suspendable drive cage (or alter the existing cage so it can be suspended).

MiKeLezZ

Post by MiKeLezZ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Any advices on less-vibrating HDDs than Samsung ones? ;-)

Since the problem seems to lie in slightly-different RPM, would buying the same model HDDs resolve it? (since they are the same model, they should spin at the same RPM).

wim

Post by wim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:59 pm

well, the samsungs are pretty good. and no, identical models will not necessarily spin at exactly same rpm. but you don't need to even do that, just suspending them probably will do the trick.. and make sure they are spaced apart a bit too (as in, each drive should have at least a 5 1/4 bay's worth of space around it)

mug2k

Post by mug2k » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:14 am

Do you think these might do the trick ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-to-5-25-Hard- ... 0206309930

Thanks,
Marcus

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:41 am

Nope, the HDD are still coupled to the case.

See this thread for a lot examples of HDD suspension.

All HDD's vibrate (classical one's, not SSD's), some more than other. This can be solved by NOT screwing it to the case (which is the more ordinary way to do it), but by hanging them from elastics. Vibrations are taken by the elastic, so the case does not vibrate.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:39 am

MiKeLezZ wrote:Any advices on less-vibrating HDDs than Samsung ones? ;-)
Come on. You're posting on the forum of a website that tells you how much hard drives vibrate when they review them. Check the front page. The WD GP drives don't vibrate as much as other 3.5" drives.

mug2k

Post by mug2k » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 am

Thanks for the help guys I've suspended the drive and now its basically silent :lol: