HD orientation in suspension-solutions

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Yomat

HD orientation in suspension-solutions

Post by Yomat » Sat May 10, 2003 7:34 am

(Hehe.. that 'subject'-line probably scares off more than it attracts. But what the hell. I could not resist the academic tease.)

This article describes how to dampen vibration from HD:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =67&page=2

Which makes me recall some stuff I read ages ago about HD operation. They are designed to work with the big flat face horizontal (don matter which side is up) and securely attached.

Although many of us know that drives 'do work' even though they are hanging sideways, slanted and dangling somewhere. But I wonder how this 'unconventional' orientation is doing for the HD health, durability and data security? Anyone have knowledge or/and experience?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Sat May 10, 2003 11:00 am

Seagate posts on its official technical white pages for a BIV drive that they can run in any orientation ... I felt better after reading that, mine are both running on edge, though it doesn't necessarily mean in real life it is better ...

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Sat May 10, 2003 12:18 pm

rpc180 wrote:Seagate posts on its official technical white pages for a BIV drive that they can run in any orientation ... I felt better after reading that, mine are both running on edge, though it doesn't necessarily mean in real life it is better ...
Could you post a link? Thanks.

Liquidated

well

Post by Liquidated » Sat May 10, 2003 12:45 pm

it did matter long ago. Hd's have advanced enough where a meer 9.8m/s/s doesn't have that profound effect regarding orientation.

from the pdf doc for the cuda IV 40 gig drive over at http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/man ... 29212b.pdf
2.3 Drive mounting
You can mount the drive in any orientation using four screws in the sidemounting
holes or four screws in the bottom-mounting holes
The IV is by no means a new model drive so assume the rest are the same.

Cheers!
-Liq

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon May 12, 2003 8:16 am

Some say that drives that have ball bearings might have a slight change of noise if not mounted "normally", and they might develop whine faster than in "normal" mounting. I don't know if this is true nowadays.

Jan