Which 2 Buy? Samsung HD501LJ or Seagate 7200.11 500GB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:45 pm

mcv wrote:
whiic wrote:All HDDs manufactured by Hitachi, Samsung and WD support AAM. That means, seek noise can be changed between noisy/performance & quiet/slightly_slower.
I didn't know this yet. Thanks.
But there really is 1,000,000,000 bytes in a gigabyte (shorted GB). 1,073,741,824 bytes make a gibibyte (shorted GiB) (which is incorrectly referred as "gigabyte" by 90+% of software vendors, incl. Microsoft).
Heh. Gibibyte. I hadn't heard that term yet. The smaller-than-advertised sizes of harddisks have often confused me in the past, but it's not actually the harddisk manufacturers that are to blame (although the powers of 2 continue to make sense for memory manufacturers, so the confusion will remain for a long time).
Hey, what's going on here? Reading the Wiki reference, it looks like these "mebi-" and "gibi-" designations were created as a response to all of the misinformation created by the drive manufacturers. This is bullcrap.

GoGoGadget

Post by GoGoGadget » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:48 am

Is anyone using the Samsung T501LJ with the Coolermaster RC-690 case? If so, can you comment on the vibrating of the drive in that case? Will grommets be necessary? If so, where is the best place to buy it?

whiic

Post by whiic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:17 pm

Pauli: "Hey, what's going on here? Reading the Wiki reference, it looks like these "mebi-" and "gibi-" designations were created as a response to all of the misinformation created by the drive manufacturers. This is bullcrap."

Which Wiki reference are you referring to?

Wikipedia's article is quite decent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Sure, WD was sued because it used SI-prefix in decimal meaning... this is kind of funny/tragic as SI-prefix only have decimal meaning. Ambulance chasers won... case was settled, the lawyers got big $$$ and the class action suit participants who gave the ambulance chasers the power to class action suit got some small compensation in some form of rebate + piece of software.

But no matter how ridiculous things get, some percentage of people will continue to give their support for using SI-prefixes as binary prefixes and they will blame HDD manufacturers (and network card manufacturers and ISPs and ...) for the misunderstandings created. They claim binary prefixes (in computer technology) predate decimal ones but is this really true? Yes, system memory may have used KB but was used by software not earlier than 1984 (prior to that, they used bytes... but of course this was no problem back then and total HDD capacity could be presented with 8 digits (today that'd be 13 digits)). HDD manufacturers have advertized their products with decimal prefixes before any such software existed.

Binary prefix has been standardized in IEC 60027-2 A.2 and adopted into other standards and harmonization documents like IEEE 1541-2002 and CENELEC HD 60027-2:2003-03. People who are stuck to binary SI-prefixes are fixated on outdated IEEE 100-2000 document. (Last four numbers denote year issued.)

Prior to IEEE 100-2000 there was a standardized double meaning for "gigabyte". (IEEE Std 610.10-1994)

So basically IEEE has gone from supporters of double standards to supporter of binary SI-prefix, then to supporter for separate binary and decimal prefix to avoid confusion. With a standardization body this confused about such a simple yet an important matter, it's kind of annoying.

...at least IEC has been improving it's "competing" standard instead of reversing it's meaning on every iteration. And it was competing only at the beginning... well kinda long actually, until IEEE 1541-2002 that is. Now, pretty much every standardization organization give a nod to IEC standard but still actual adoption visible to end-user is quite low (but luckily increasing). So far mostly adopted into opensource software. Wikipedia lists software like Linux kernel, GNU Core Utilities, Launchpad, GParted, ifconfig, Deluge, Azureus, Pidgin, BitTornado. And DC++ could be added to that list as well. But as long as neither Microsoft or Macintosh start using binary prefixes instead of SI-prefix for binary units, the general public will continue to talk about how much capacity they "lost" when they formatted their HDD.

And a totally different subject...

"Is anyone using the Samsung T501LJ with the Coolermaster RC-690 case? If so, can you comment on the vibrating of the drive in that case?"

I don't use RC-690 but I can still comment that for any hardcore silencer, having a non-decoupled HDD (especially if a 3.5" Samsung) in any commercial computer case will vibrate too much.

"Will grommets be necessary?"

No. And by "no" I don't mean decoupling isn't necessary - I mean that grommets can't do the job well enough. You need some serious decoupling if you want it silent. That means elastic rubber bands (preferably multiple strings within a fabric to prevent sudden napping due to aging), inner tube for bicycle tyre sliced into rings, soft foam, heat transfer gel in a bag that doesn't leak, copper plate sandwhich, ... there's several methods of doing it.

"If so, where is the best place to buy it?"

None of decently working decoupling methods are commercially available. Typically these mods also will make moving the computer case after installation dangerous (withot removing the HDDs first).
Last edited by whiic on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcv

Post by mcv » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:42 pm

whiic wrote: None of decently working decoupling methods are commercially available. Typically these mods also will make moving the computer case after installation dangerous (withot removing the HDDs first).
This is one of those things I was wondering about. The Antec Solo comes with built-in suspension for the harddisks, but they look to me like the drives might slide out if you move them carelessly.

I was already planning to always move them muself and extremely carefully (or possibly remove the drives or add some strap to keep them in place), but I'd been meaning to ask about it. I guess you're answering my question.

DragonOptical
Friend of SPCR

Post by DragonOptical » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:10 am

Wisebird wrote:Hi guys,
Yesterday i bought dlink dns-313 and Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200rpm.

And the HDD sounds really noisy when it's being accessed, though someone here posted that this hdd is really [quiet].
could you give me any suggestions what can be done to reduce the noise?
thnx
Yup it's noisy when accessed, don't know why so many people find it [quiet]...
NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

If low seek noise is what you want, the Western Digital SE16 and Green Power drives should be on your short list.
²
DragonOptical wrote:I also tested a Samsung HD501LJ and I hated this drive even more.
The access noise was even louder than the one from the F1, and it vibrated as much. So if I had to choose between the two of them (which I'm happy I don't have to) I would choose the F1.

At the moment I'm using a WD5000AAKS as my main drive (I'm very happy with it: low seek noise and low vibration), and I'm going to buy a WD7500AACS (Caviar GP) to use as a secondary drive.
justlnluck wrote:I love my Hitachi 500GB. I own many hard drives: Samsungs, Seagates, WD....this Hitachi is the quiets idle and seeks by far. It also feels the coolest to the touch. I can't remember the model number. It's the new energy efficient one.
Now that sounds interesting, I was going to buy a WD GP 750GB but now you'r making me curious.
I'm going to pm you to ask for that model number.

whiic

Post by whiic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:39 pm

"Now that sounds interesting, I was going to buy a WD GP 750GB but now you'r making me curious.
I'm going to pm you to ask for that model number."

P7K500 most likely. That's 2-platter drive. (T7K500 is 3-platter and 7K500 and E7K500 are both 5-platter.)

Hitachi's have for some time been the lowest wattage per number of platter spun. Unfortunately they usually had more platters as their competition so that eliminated the benefit. P7K500 doesn't have more platters than it's competition, thus it's probably the least power consuming 500GB 7200rpm drive out there.

WD Greenpower is still a bit cooler... if though it has 4 platters to make full 1000GB capacity. I'm not sure if 750GB variant has 3x 250GB platters or if it's has 4x 188GB platters (the density used in WD's 7200rpm 750GB unit). Anyway, it's still cooler.

Hitachi would be preferred for high-performance drive that offers top-notch real-life performance with a noise level lower than... say, Seagate (which also happens to have lowest desktop performance scores of all HDDs, according to SR's Performance Database). For secondary storage with no special performance requirements, WD GP would be my preference. Being 5400rpm doesn't mean it's slow... it can still tie in performance benchmarks with 7200rpm Seagates.

whiic

Post by whiic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:39 pm

"Now that sounds interesting, I was going to buy a WD GP 750GB but now you'r making me curious.
I'm going to pm you to ask for that model number."

P7K500 most likely. That's 2-platter drive. (T7K500 is 3-platter and 7K500 and E7K500 are both 5-platter.)

Hitachi's have for some time been the lowest wattage per number of platter spun. Unfortunately they usually had more platters as their competition so that eliminated the benefit. P7K500 doesn't have more platters than it's competition, thus it's probably the least power consuming 500GB 7200rpm drive out there.

WD Greenpower is still a bit cooler... if though it has 4 platters to make full 1000GB capacity. I'm not sure if 750GB variant has 3x 250GB platters or if it's has 4x 188GB platters (the density used in WD's 7200rpm 750GB unit). Anyway, it's still cooler.

Hitachi would be preferred for high-performance drive that offers top-notch real-life performance with a noise level lower than... say, Seagate (which also happens to have lowest desktop performance scores of all HDDs, according to SR's Performance Database). For secondary storage with no special performance requirements, WD GP would be my preference. Being 5400rpm doesn't mean it's slow... it can still tie in performance benchmarks with 7200rpm Seagates.

mcv

Post by mcv » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:15 pm

whiic wrote:WD Greenpower is still a bit cooler... if though it has 4 platters to make full 1000GB capacity. I'm not sure if 750GB variant has 3x 250GB platters or if it's has 4x 188GB platters (the density used in WD's 7200rpm 750GB unit). Anyway, it's still cooler.
I don't know about WD's 7200rpm unit, but I do know the GP has 250 MB platters.