Maxtor 250GB vs. WD 750GB GP

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Demian

Maxtor 250GB vs. WD 750GB GP

Post by Max Demian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:04 am

Hi.

I've recently bought the WD GP 750 GB model, only to find to my dismay that its seeks are actually louder than the Maxtor DiamondMax 21 single platter 250GB drive I've been hitherto using. At idle it indeed is quieter than the Maxtor and the vibration is smaller, but as they are both soft mounted and encased in the Antec P182 the only thing piercing through ambient are the seeks, where I have to admit that the Maxtor clearly outperforms the GP, where the GP has AAM enabled and the Maxtor disabled.

I'd really be interested to see how the Maxtor stacks up to the GP in a more elaborate and analytical review of the silentpcreview type.

Anyone else employing the Maxtor?

ilh

Post by ilh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:10 am

Have you enabled AAM on the WD?

Raxxath

Post by Raxxath » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:14 am

ilh wrote:Have you enabled AAM on the WD?
Max Demian wrote: I have to admit that the Maxtor clearly outperforms the GP, where the GP has AAM enabled and the Maxtor disabled.
I have the 750gb GP myself, and also find the seeks to be annoying. But its only mounted using rubber grommets, not suspension yet, and I haven't enabled AAM.

I just ordered a WD1200BEVS to see if its any quieter, since I need another drive anyway.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:42 pm

I found the seeks/writes of my 500 GP annoying too, couldn't have Vista on it but as a download/game/media disk it's perfect.

Hopefully my WD 640 will be better..