Verbatim external 2.5" storage?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

albatros_la

Verbatim external 2.5" storage?

Post by albatros_la » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:02 am

I'm searching for a silent external storage for my laptop. I've seen that there are a lot of producers of 2.5" external HDs. I know that there are a lot of good products out there, like Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate... but it's usually difficult to find which of them are selled inside re-branded items. I've seen that there are also Verbatim external discs and I can find them to be sligthly cheaper than the competitors since the company has acquired SmartDisc corp (a brand which sounds unknown for me, here in Europe). Anyone knows who is the Verbatim hard disk supplier? Are they silent and reliable discs?

albatros_la

Post by albatros_la » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:40 am

After a lot of googleing I've found someone saying there's a Samsung drive inside. Anyone confirms this (good) info?

Belmonte

Post by Belmonte » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:40 am

I have the 250gb usb/firewire combo version. Is there a way I can check the hard disk vendor/model without having to open it?

FWIW, the disk is warmer (not much) and a bit noisier than my 160gb WD passport.

albatros_la

Post by albatros_la » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 am

I'm pretty sure that there are utilities able to get you the vendor informations under Window$. However I'm a linux-only user so I cannot provide you any program name better than hdparm/sdparm.

Belmonte

Post by Belmonte » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get any useful info from the usual suspects (hdtune under windows and hdparm under linux).

FYI, this is what I get from hdparm:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/sdc1

/dev/sdc1:
HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument

Any ideas?

albatros_la

Post by albatros_la » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:53 am

Bad thing, I see! However, I'm going to test it this evening, so in the next days I would be able to provide informations myself, if I'll manage to do that!