Vibration Problem

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

e v o

Vibration Problem

Post by e v o » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:27 pm

I recently bought a WD10EACS and a WD6400AAKS, and am happy with the performance, but have begun to notice some noise originating from those two drives.

I've read the reviews and both are supposed to have little vibration. I have a P180 case and am using them in the lower cage. The sound I'm hearing is just like a washing or drying machine, muffled in the far background (as if it were several rooms away for a floor or two above). I can only hear it when I'm at my desk and the computer is to the side. When I bring my head down near the hds, I can't hear it as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has this case and hds and if you think either of mine might be dying.

Ben

EDIT: It seems to only be my WD10EACS. Does AAM do anything for vibration? Is there a way to set the WD10EACS to only 5400rpms? I think I will end up buying another WD6400AAKS.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:17 pm

You said
When I bring my head down near the hds, I can't hear it as well

It may be a resonance issue . I have a lot of problems with resonance with computers placed on my desk . The rear and sides are enclosed an made of solid wood ( 45mm thick ) it echoes and amplifies any case resonance within a certain band . I once attached (with duct tape ) a blanket behind the computers to see what happened - the sound went away ! not a usable fix but it isolated the problem !
Are you sure that it is just the drive vibrating ?

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I'd also think that your drives are working properly, and that the reflections of the sound off the surrounding environment is to blame. The WD10EACS spins only at 5400RPM, and does not vary it's rotational speed as some specifications indicate.

e v o

Post by e v o » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Edit: Well it looks like it was a side panel. So far so good. I just had to remove and replace it and the sound seems to be gone.