Hard Disks. Good for offline storage over the years?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am

I have wondered about this myself.

First, the partition boundaries and data are represented by magnetic patterns, which will decay with time. How much time I don't know and I suspect nobody truly knows because actual time is needed to develop useful data. Simulations are no substitute for actual time measurements. I have used floppy disks that are more than a decade old that according to many people should no longer be functioning.

Second, electrolytic capacitors are subject to deterioration. Long periods of non-usage allows the electrolyte to dry/evaporate. Continual electrical usage maintains the insulating layer and "reforms" the capacitor. Reforming sometimes is possible but for most people impractical. Periodic usage therefore is good prevention.

Third, as mentioned, there are the bearings. Although hermetically sealed, I suspect that with significant periods of non-usage the lubricant tends to harden. Most modern drives now use fluid dynamic bearings, however, so this concern might not apply to such drives.

An annual maintenance chore of powering up these devices is a safe precaution. I do this annually with some of my old electronic equipment sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately, I had strayed from my old photography hobby for several years. Last year when I tried my Speedlite 177A flash unit, the device refused to fire. Sat too long in the camera bag in the closet. I don't know the exact failure, but I am willing to bet a beer the electrolytic capacitor is dead.

With that said, I have been using hard drives for backups for years. I gave up on cumbersome tape drives, CDs, and DVDs long ago. I use a drive bay. Backups are a manual operation, but full automation never was a high priority for me.

However, for your purposes --- storing music albums, I think DVDs would work just fine and as mentioned, much less expensive. If deterioration is a concern, then every two years recopy and test the DVDs.
They even told them that a disk has only a couple of months of life if they are stored offline and never powered up.
This kind of talk is FUD intended encourage people to buy more hard drives. :) I have old hard drives that still fire up just fine and they sit on the shelf for long periods. My oldest drive is a 512 MB Conner from 1991. Still works and I fire up the drive only once or twice a year.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Tape often has a higher coercivity and retentivity than the magnetic coating sued in hard drives. As a result it takes a stronger magnetic feild to accidently alter it, and a longer time for magnetic decay to affect it, all other things being equal.

The problem with long term storage of tape that is seldom read from or written to, is a subtle influence between the magnetized layers of tape. It seldom results in data corruption but it does exists.

That said, I have two nine-track 1/2" tape spools I made when doing my Bachelor's thesis in college. That tape has sat in a drawer in a filing cabinet for about 30 years. I took it out to the local college and mounted them on their mini/mainframe's tape drive. It was as good as the day it was written.

Ultimately it wil depend on on a balance of needed access, convenience, length of storage and personal preferences as o which media is right for you. As for myself I use all of the above :D

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Use an Amazon S3, Mozy or similar account to do online backup. You can get unlimited gigabytes online for free, or just pay one provider for unlimited. Encrypt it if you are paranoid (WinRAR archive).

Then you can keep your HDDs around and not worry about failures, because at worst you spend a few weeks downloading it all again from your online backups. Get Seagate drivers with five year warranties if you like.

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

MoJo wrote:Get Seagate drivers with five year warranties if you like.
A five year warrantee doesn't necessarily mean that a drive is more reliable. It just means that the company is willing to take a small loss to convince people to buy their product. Most drives that fail do so within the first few months of use, so if they last a few years they'll most likely last a couple more. After a few years, it won't cost the company hardly anything to send you a recertified replacement, so the value of five year warrantees are questionable at best.

Also, you mention for the paranoid to encrypt files stored online, but what about the contents of a failed hard drive? The data will still most likely be recoverable, and it would be incredibly easy for a drive manufacturer to swap your platters into a new unit, copy their contents to a central database, and catalog everything for easy searching. : D

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:53 am

Cryoburner wrote:A five year warrantee doesn't necessarily mean that a drive is more reliable.
I wasn't suggesting that, merely that if it does happen to seize up you will be able to get a replacement :)
Also, you mention for the paranoid to encrypt files stored online, but what about the contents of a failed hard drive? The data will still most likely be recoverable, and it would be incredibly easy for a drive manufacturer to swap your platters into a new unit, copy their contents to a central database, and catalog everything for easy searching. : D
Well, that really is super paranoid now... I think most HDD manufacturers guarantee that old drives will be wiped to protect personal data now, but you could always use TrueCrypt.