Intel X25-E reviews?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aris

Intel X25-E reviews?

Post by Aris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 am

So i see it plastered all over the net that the new SLC based intel SSD's are shipping, yet i cant find a review of it anywhere.

Anyone know a site that has reviewed it?

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 pm

anyone else find it odd no one has done a review of this drive, even though its been sold on retail channels for a week now?

Also, anyone have any clue why newegg doesnt have any of the new intel SSD's yet?

robin

Post by robin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:44 am

Yes I also find it very strange! I have tried to find a review since the x25-e was released but nothing is out there.

This SSD is supposedly the fastest ever and no one seems to be interested in it. Frustrating!!

hravn

Post by hravn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 am

I agree, I'm very interested in reviews using the X25-E in servers (specifically database servers), but I guess any review would be welcome right now...

Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:12 am

I'm guessing there aren't any reviews of the X25-E because they (presumably) haven't been sent to any of the usual hw review sites. :)

Newegg has the X25-M for sale now (but out of stock).

Meowbay

Post by Meowbay » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:29 am

How noisy are these Intel SSD's ?
I read somewhere some SSD's have small fans on-board. I find it really strange that while we're in "Silent Storage" forum, nobody even mentions this..

eit412
Patron of SPCR

Post by eit412 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:48 am

The intel SSD's do not have a fan.

Strid

Post by Strid » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:43 am

Meowbay wrote:How noisy are these Intel SSD's ?
<0 dB(A). :lol:

Weird that it's impossible to find a review. In fact, googl'ing "X25-E" I found this very thread to come up as the third hit.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 am

I read somewhere some SSD's have small fans on-board. I find it really strange that while we're in "Silent Storage" forum, nobody even mentions this..
I have never heard anything about a fan in a SSD before. Is there such a SSD?

Strid

Post by Strid » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 am

Vicotnik wrote:I have never heard anything about a fan in a SSD before. Is there such a SSD?
Considering the wattage, I doubt cooling will ever be an issue with current SSD technology.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:42 am

Vicotnik wrote:
Here's a sample. :P

robin

Post by robin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 pm

m^2

Post by m^2 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 am

robin wrote:found some tests finally =)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... st12913297
Thanks. :)

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:19 am

m^2 wrote:
Vicotnik wrote:
That is not an SSD drive, its a multi-drive array enclosure.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 am

Aris wrote:
m^2 wrote:
Vicotnik wrote: I have never heard anything about a fan in a SSD before. Is there such a SSD?
Nope, it's a SSD drive. It's flash modules are not independent drives, all drive logic is in the enclosure part.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:28 am

m^2 wrote:
Aris wrote:
m^2 wrote: Here's a sample. :P
Nope, it's a SSD drive. It's flash modules are not independent drives, all drive logic is in the enclosure part.
Read the discription:

"The Flash Memory (1-2TB usable capacity) is arrayed in nine RAID-3 protected hot swappable modules."

Its a multi drive RAID array enclosure that uses up to 9 SSD drives, NOT an SSD drive. It uses SSD drives in it, but it is not in and of itself a single SSD drive.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:48 am

Aris wrote:
m^2 wrote:
Aris wrote: That is not an SSD drive, its a multi-drive array enclosure.
Read the discription:

"The Flash Memory (1-2TB usable capacity) is arrayed in nine RAID-3 protected hot swappable modules."

Its a multi drive RAID array enclosure that uses up to 9 SSD drives, NOT an SSD drive. It uses SSD drives in it, but it is not in and of itself a single SSD drive.
They say "flash modules" rather than "flash drives" for a reason.
User manual:
"The RamSan-500 comes with 9 flash modules in a RAID 5 configuration. (...) The flash modules are designed and manufactured by Texas Memory Systems. They incorporate proprietary technology to interface with the RamSan-500 backplane and cannot be used outside of the RamSan-500."
TMS designs all bigger parts that are used in their SSDs, even RAM modules and IB/FC controllers to ensure everything works well together. RamSan-500 is not a chassis + flash drives. It's a complex SSD with many redundant parts, also flash modules.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:50 am

From that quick review, it seems the X25-E can be summed up as "mind boggling". Both from a performance standpoint and a price one.
Currently they are going for about £19.5 per GB, compared to £0.08 per GB on the 1TB drives. Now that is what i call an early adopter price premium!

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 am

m^2 wrote:It's a complex SSD with many redundant parts, also flash modules.
You can put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Just because they call them "modules" doesnt mean they arnt drives. All it means is its proprietary. Its still a multi "module" raid array chassis that holds 9 "modules" that are hot swappable. All they did was make the connections proprietary so you couldnt use 3rd party drives in it. Its still not a single SSD drive.

And reguardless of if it is or isnt, how about you stop hyjacking my thread? Make your own thread to discuss wiether or not that is an SSD drive.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 am

m^2 wrote:They say "flash modules" rather than "flash drives" for a reason.
User manual:
"The RamSan-500 comes with 9 flash modules in a RAID 5 configuration. (...) The flash modules are designed and manufactured by Texas Memory Systems. They incorporate proprietary technology to interface with the RamSan-500 backplane and cannot be used outside of the RamSan-500."
TMS designs all bigger parts that are used in their SSDs, even RAM modules and IB/FC controllers to ensure everything works well together. RamSan-500 is not a chassis + flash drives. It's a complex SSD with many redundant parts, also flash modules.
I have to say your line of discussion here is pretty silly. Does that TMS box plug into a SATA port on a motherboard? Is it powered using a SATA power connector?

Strid

Post by Strid » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:30 pm

I don't want to be a total bunhole here but ...

m^2

Post by m^2 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:00 am

nutball wrote:
m^2 wrote:They say "flash modules" rather than "flash drives" for a reason.
User manual:
I have to say your line of discussion here is pretty silly. Does that TMS box plug into a SATA port on a motherboard? Is it powered using a SATA power connector?
It connects via FC / IB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
Edit it if you think that SATA connection should be required. I bet it won't last a day.
Aris wrote:
m^2 wrote:It's a complex SSD with many redundant parts, also flash modules.
You can put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Just because they call them "modules" doesnt mean they arnt drives. All it means is its proprietary. Its still a multi "module" raid array chassis that holds 9 "modules" that are hot swappable. All they did was make the connections proprietary so you couldnt use 3rd party drives in it. Its still not a single SSD drive.
The point is not that you cannot put your SSD in it but that the modules are unable to operate on their own.
And these are not only connections, but also data transfer protocol. The reason was not to block 3rd party solutions but to optimize performance.
Aris wrote:And reguardless of if it is or isnt, how about you stop hyjacking my thread? Make your own thread to discuss wiether or not that is an SSD drive.
Sorry.

2 moderators:
Could you split this?

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:23 am

i find it amusing that the acronym "SSD" stands for "Solid State DRIVE" and you have already admited these are not drives, but modules used with proprietary connections in a multi bay raid enclosure.

Also, proprietary is only used to keep third party hardware/software out of their products. There are plenty of standard connections that would allow the bandwidth required for such a device. In fact there are a number on the market, their called NAS enclosures. Which is a much closer description to what this is than an SSD.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:44 am

Aris wrote:i find it amusing that the acronym "SSD" stands for "Solid State DRIVE" and you have already admited these are not drives, but modules used with proprietary connections in a multi bay raid enclosure.
No. All the time I called the complete RamSan-500 SSD.
Aris wrote:Also, proprietary is only used to keep third party hardware/software out of their products. There are plenty of standard connections that would allow the bandwidth required for such a device. In fact there are a number on the market, their called NAS enclosures. Which is a much closer description to what this is than an SSD.
I can't prove that having proprietary connections improves performance, but I highly doubt that with such low volume getting a few thousand bucks more on some part of their sale (presumably small as enterprise tends to choose proven solutions) wouldn't be worth making a custom design. But that's OT (Actually off the current offtopic :P) anyway.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Hint, hint.

kuraegomon

Post by kuraegomon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 pm

TR review is finally up - X25-E is officially the Bugatti Veyron of SATA drives ... OK, I'm exaggerating a bit, but ... yeah. I want to RAID up a few of these RIGHT NOW.

kuraegomon

Post by kuraegomon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:44 pm

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I want one... but don't need it.