Seagate Momentus 2.5" 5400.5 access/seek noise?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NapalmDeath

Seagate Momentus 2.5" 5400.5 access/seek noise?

Post by NapalmDeath » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:09 pm

I upgraded my Dell laptop hard drive

120GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb

to: Seagate ST9320320AS
320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

The new seagate drive has a constant access/seek sound, where the Hitachi never did. also my fan seems to run a lot more just doing desktop apps. I did a fresh Vista Home premium install, and I'm wondering if there is a setting I neglected to change?

I disabled autoplay, as I read that causes a constant seek sound as the drive checks the dvd drive.

Is there a Seagate Utility to turn on QuietStep? Or is it on by default? Or to just check settings? I installed the seagate utility, but it only checks for errors.

It also seems to run hotter.

thoughts?

ND

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:04 am

This really should be sticked at the top of this forum. I believe MikeC still uses a DOS based program that you have to run from bootup to change the AAM on hard drives.

I found one a while ago, on these forums though i cant remember where, that lets you do it in windows. Heres the website for it to download.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/ ... 2-HDDScan/

Other than turning AAM on, i know theres a seagate specific software to fix the momentums, but since i dont use this hard drive i dont know the details. But i know ive read about it on this forum. do a search in this forum for seagate momentum and you should find it.

EDIT:

heres the thread that talked about fixing this hard drives noise issues.

viewtopic.php?t=50716

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks ! =D

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 am

You may also have a thanks from me for the info contained in this thread!

I recently got a Dell laptop and have been highly irritated by the hard drives they use. Its an XPS 1530, so you would expect quality components to be used, but that was not the case for me :(

First hard drive broke, not the best start. Although it was a v v quiet drive, no idle or seek noise. I think it was an Hitatchi, although I am not sure

Second drive had massive idle whine so was RMA'ed

Now I have been sent a Seagate Momentus 5400.5 320Gb ST9320320AS. This drive has some idle whine, but the most annoying is that it has CONSTANT seek noise. The drive just never seems to give up seeking... :( Dell laptops have an acoustic management option in their BIOS, but using this made little difference. So I downloaded the HDDScan util and set the acoustic management to max. This has helped quite a lot.