Low noise DVD-R/RW

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Veramocor

Low noise DVD-R/RW

Post by Veramocor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 am

I am looking at buying a replacement for my old DVD-R/RW. My current one is the noisiest part of my machine when reading a DVD/CD.

Is noise soley a speed issue (from high speed whirl) or are there suggested quiet DVD R/RW.

If so what are the quietest models (availible in US)? I didn't see any reviews on this site.

If its a speed issue or a combination of both then its just a matter of using a slowing program.

I'm not too worried about noise during burning operations just DVD/CD reading.

Best regards

Veramocor

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm

they don't exist.

get software that will slow your ODD speed down when its being used.

or use an external ODD and only connect it when you actually need to use it.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:46 am

You can also use a computer case with a door that cover the drives.
I can barely hear mine when they run at full speed.

Cheers
Olle

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Aris wrote:they don't exist.

get software that will slow your ODD speed down when its being used.

or use an external ODD and only connect it when you actually need to use it.
This kind of response annoys me as well. I've noticed that in every thread asking about quiet optical disk drives will inevitably have this simple response.

The truth is, not all optical disk drives are made with the same accoustics. True, there is nothing out there that is SPCR quiet at the current average speeds, but there are models that produce less noise at a given speed than others. For example, I've found the Asus 2014-L1t (might be discontinued already) was amazingly quiet when reading disks. It's not inaudible, but the sound was similar to a gentle purr compared to the jet turbine that my NEC/optiarc had.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 am

There are far too many "recommend a quiet DVD burner" threads in the Silent Storage section, but understandably so. Those things are incredibly annoying :x :D.

I guess the stock response of "use software to slow the the drive down" is due to the fact that most silencers regard all optical drives to be too loud full stop. But think of it this way: how often do you really use the optical drive? Unless you are a CD/DVD freak ripping non stop, you only need to access it once a while anyway.

I find my Pioneer DVR-216 to be very quiet when reading discs. It doesn't sound like a jet engine like the Creative, MSI, LG, Liteon drives I have previously used. (These were older/rated slower than the Pioneer as well.) The sound is quite muffled and bearable. Make what you want of Pioneer's marketing, but I think they actually put in some effort acoustically, however token it may be at the end of the day.

protellect

Post by protellect » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 am

I have a USB Sony External DVD Writer that I think is surprisingly quiet. Came with a server that didn't have a dvd drive in it.

Better yet, I can stash it 10 feet away from my desk if I want for the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRX840U-Exte ... 805&sr=1-1

I haven't found any internals that are "quiet" while in use.

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 am

I made a great find while googling, take a look at this! -> Samsung SH-D162D Low noise RPC1 Firmware
Scan-C
Hi all!

This firmware is intended for use with the Samsung SH-D162D (TS-H352D) in DVD-Players like the Kiss or gaming consoles (it's running in my original Xbox). It's patched to run at the following speeds:

DVD-Rom: 4x
DVD+-R/RW: 4x
DVD+-R DL: 4x
CD-R/Rom: 8x

Other Patches:

RPC-1 by Mr.Shine

While testing I had the drive sitting on my hand and couldn't tell if it's spinning but the movie played so I guess it did

I have to thank Mr.Shine for releasing the RPC-1 patched firmware and ala42 for helping me patching the speeds.

As always: Use at your own risk!
Attached file: SH-D162D_SB00.RPC1.low-noise.zip (93.2 KB)
And also this from the same guy. -> Samsung SH-D163B Low noise RPC1 Firmware
Attached file: SH-D163B_SB02_Low_noise_RPC1.zip (95.8 KB)

So here we have 2 potential quiet optical drives, one SATA and one IDE.
Some info about the Samsung SH-D163B
Some info about the Samsung SH-D162D :)

Here is an instruction on how to flash a Samsung drive. ;)