Notebook hard drive to desktop adapter

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

avuton

Notebook hard drive to desktop adapter

Post by avuton » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Hello,

I'm getting a notebook hard drive for my desktop but I can't find an 3.5 or 5.25 adapter for it on newegg, probably mostly for the fact that I don't know what to call it other then adapter or bracket and I haven't found anything useful there. Please link (even if not on newegg). (Please forgive if this is a FAQ ;))

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Me ... mount+Acce.

It allows the mounting of a slim optical drive as well as a 2.5" drive into a single 5.25" bay.

http://www.directron.com/nbadapter.html

Heres a more standard metal bracket adapter

potsy

Post by potsy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 am

Why don't you put it in a scythe quiet drive - that will adapt the 2.5 to 3.5 and make it super quiet at the same time. I've got two of them in an Antec Fusion and I reckon they're great.
linky

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 am

I'd go with a NoVibes bungee cradle:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7851/ ... ystem.html

The Scythe Quiet Drive mentioned earlier is excellent for dropping higher-pitched tonal noise, but doesn't do much for vibrations, which I'm pretty sure are more prevalent in most modern drives. The NoVibes is much better in that regard. It's no more effective than a homebrew suspension, but it's simpler and not terribly expensive.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I got the StarTech SATA35252X adaptor. It can be set up for one or two 2.5" drives in a 3.5" bay. It comes with all the needed screws, etc, and is very solid. There's also a PATA version.

It wasn't cheap: I bought mine from Amazon for about $26 delivered.

batka

Post by batka » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:14 pm

potsy wrote:Why don't you put it in a scythe quiet drive - that will adapt the 2.5 to 3.5 and make it super quiet at the same time. I've got two of them in an Antec Fusion and I reckon they're great.
linky
Hi!

I have the Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5" enclosure too, and I have Antec Solo case. But I've noticed that the Antec Solo 3.5" places with those rubber grommets, require to screwing the hard disk at the bottom.
However the Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5" is only have screw places at his sides, not at the bottom.

Should I just put the Quiet Drive on the rubber grommets, without any screws, and that's it? I think the rubbers are rather cohesive and it seems they don't allow to slide away the drive.
Any opinions?

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:09 am

Why do you want to put your laptop drive in a SQD? Unless you have a very loud notebook drive i dont think you'd notice the noise once its inside the case and suspended.

batka

Post by batka » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 am

FartingBob wrote:Why do you want to put your laptop drive in a SQD? Unless you have a very loud notebook drive i dont think you'd notice the noise once its inside the case and suspended.
You're very right, my laptop drive is silent enough. It is suspensed in the Antec Solo, and I'm using it one year that way. I have no problem with it's noise, but so far, I had two times when PC wasn't able to boot, it couldn't load the NTLDR . When I checked what the heck is going I have noticed that the drive is not laying 100% horizontally in the suspension, it's very little but it has a little bit angle. So I was worried that the odd angle maybe can damage the drive at long run. This is only the reason I thought I'm using my SQD... (I have the SQD for one year too, but I don't use it in fact...)

However both times, when I checked cabling, and I keep the drive to relax a bit, and I made a Diskcheck, it worked again nicely, so I'm not sure which caused that it was not booting.

potsy

Post by potsy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 am

Reasons why you would use the scythe:

1. I found that when I suspended my notebook drives they were much louder. The HDD case needs to rest against something (like, no surprise, the inside of a note book) to stop vibrating. Maybe they're not all like that but mine were.

2. I don't agree with tehcrazybob. The lower vibrations are inaudible when inside the scythe and I can only hear some soft seek.

3. It's quiet. Really, really quiet. I know other people here have said a notebook drive is quiet enough without the enclosure, but if you don't have any fans turned on then you can hear a notebook drive. Put it in a scythe and you can't. That's the test for me and that's why were here after all!