What temperature is your VelociRaptor?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bgiddins

What temperature is your VelociRaptor?

Post by bgiddins » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:19 am

Took the plunge tonight and tore that black sticker off the icepack, and tried my new torx bit out on the VelociRaptor - it's now sitting on a foam pad in the bottom of my machine. RIP mosquito! Finally believe it is a near-silent drive.

Temps immediately jumped from ~24C average to 37C, so I flipped the drive over so that the PCB side was face-up (the foam pad was insulating it!), and temps fell to 32C. Right now it's got an old Intel 92mm heatsink fan blowing on it, and temps are back down to 24C, as are my other two drives in the case. So I guess the icepack was actually working. Looking at it now the HDD is removed, there are two squares with thermal tape in offset positions that may line up with hot components on the other side of the PCB.

32C is fine for a HDD, but what temp does your VelociRaptor run at once removed from the icepack?

PS the removed icepack is being kept - looks like the perfect mounting bracket for a future SSD :D
Last edited by bgiddins on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:15 am

39C in an SQD with no specifically forced airflow.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:38 am

33°C, also in an SQD and also with no specially forced airflow. My computer room is a bit chilly at the moment, though; this summer I had a slow intake fan to help keep the drive cool.