Moving RAID1 from ICH7R -> ICH10R

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Schlotkins

Moving RAID1 from ICH7R -> ICH10R

Post by Schlotkins » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Hello-

I have a RAID1 setup on my Bad Axe motherboard which I think has a ICH7R on it. I am probably going to upgrade to a board with the ICH10R controller on it. Is this just a move it over and I'm good to go? I obviously don't want to lose any data.

Thanks,
Chris

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Hey Chris,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have some advice.

Make a complete copy of one of your disks to another hard disk before you do the changeover, and test that you can boot from it on your Bad Axe (what an awesome name for a board!). Hiren's boot CD has a number of utilities which can use to image your disk.

Hopefully the two chipsets do RAID1 the same way (my understanding is that for RAID1 it is usually pretty straightforward. They may put some proprietry data at the front of the disk, and the rest of your data is offset from there), but who knows. But as long as you backup first, you don't have to worry about losing your data.

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 am

All you have to do if you want to be sure is build a new RAID1 array and as part of the build of the array designate that you want to copy data from the designated master drive (which can be either drive) to the other.

Schlotkins

Post by Schlotkins » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank you for the replies!

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:43 pm

I never have been able to succesfully upgrade a motherboard in a system without doing a fresh install of the operating system. I got it to work (sort of) once, but it had many issues and i ultimately had to format and reinstall to fix it. Its just not a good idea.

back up your data, upgrade your hardware, format your drive and start with a fresh install. Its the best way to do it.