Seagate Ships HDs with 500GB per platter

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aztec

Seagate Ships HDs with 500GB per platter

Post by aztec » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:25 pm

[quote]Seagate Ships Desktop Hard Drive With World's Highest Areal Density -- 500GB Per Disk

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. - January 5, 2009 - Seagate (NASDAQ:STX) today announced first-to-market volume shipments of a mainstream desktop hard drive with the industry’s highest areal density. Packing 1TB of capacity on just two disks, Seagate’s Barracuda ® 7200.12 HD, a 3.5-inch 7200-RPM drive features an areal density of 329 Gigabits per square inch to deliver the best combination of capacity, performance and reliability for PCs, desktop RAID and personal external storage.

“Demand for more desktop PC storage capacity is far from letting up as computer users worldwide generate massive amounts of digital content every day,â€

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:16 am

¤&*! *%&##*! !¤*%&*#*¤!?!?! Of course once I buy a new HDD the company must come up with a new version! Nah just kidding! I'm excited to see when these new Barracudas come to the stores and of course when there are some benchmarks available :D

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 am

Seems Hitachi are going to have them beat for areal density though (375 vs 329GB/sqin iirc).

Random comment on same story from reghardware:

"At this rate we'll soon be able to have a database detailing every UK call and email stored in a data centre the size of Jacqui Smith's brain..."

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

Yes but look on the bright side: now to get as much as 500GB of storage space, you can get a single-platter drive which means less noise whatsoever. I guess most of us aren't looking towards 2TB yet. I mean, 1TB and 1.5TB is a hella lot of storage space anyway even for a home media server (unless you're like trying to stream 1080p video around the place).

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 pm

winguy

Post by winguy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:29 pm

Original link (in chinese):
http://publish.it168.com/2009/0106/20090106000901.shtml

Page 5: It has AAM?

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 am

Before I'd go to conclusion that Seagate is going to return AAM back to it's HDDs I'd first verify that HD Tune Pro version 3.00 doesn't consider known non-AAM capable older Seagates as having that feature. If it does, we know it's with very high likelyhood that even newest Seagate doesn't have the feature.

If it on the other hand shows older Seagates as not having the feature, it still doesn't give absolute certainty that new Seagates will actually have the feature but it won't rule out the possibility either.

Sometimes a supported feature doesn't show up as a supported feature (for example: people say configuring WD's unloading is possible via APM, yet I see APM as non-supported feature in HDD Scan) and sometimes a non-supported feature shows as a supported feature (Maxtors and Samsungs having "APM supported" yet no functionality implemented for that feature). To know if it's truely supported one needs to change the value and see if it has any effect in noise. If older Seagates doesn't report as "AAM supported" in HD Tune, then we have good reason to review it to see if it's true or not.