Good affordable SSDs?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tknd

Post by tknd » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:13 pm

gogos7 wrote:
128GB -> 150 euro !
Those are very good prices. In the states on newegg.com there's the Corsair 128GB that is going for $327. That drive is supposedly Samsung controller with Samsung MLC.

HAHA

Vertex launch is getting closer ...

Post by HAHA » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:48 am

Aris

Re: Vertex launch is getting closer ...

Post by Aris » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 am

HAHA wrote:http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... tcount=221

The SSD we are waiting for ...
As amazing as vertex looks, im still realing from their response to the last generation of SSD's they sold. Not to mention they only have a 2 year warrenty and Intel's prices are dropping fast to match the cost per GB of these drives.

Even if they are a bit faster than the drives from intel, i think i may go with intel anyhow just to get an extra year of warrenty.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:13 pm

A couple of previews of the ocz vertex.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=670

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=60

The buffer seems to have solved the "stuttering" issue. Overall it`s performing similarly to the intel drives and actually beating the in write speed. IO performance is also very good.

Availability should be a matter of days. We should expect the same price per GB as the core series but with vastly superior (and more consistent) performance.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:09 pm

ntavlas wrote:Availability should be a matter of days. We should expect the same price per GB as the core series but with vastly superior (and more consistent) performance.
First off, Core series is dirt cheep. Vertex will start at around $250 for the 60gb model. Core series for 60gb is now at $170. So no its not going to be the same price as core.

As far as availability is concerned. I was told back in january it was going to be comming out "any day now".

HAHA

OCZ SUMMIT

Post by HAHA » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 am

I didn't notice before but there is also another properly cached SSD model from OCZ, named "SUMMIT", comming out very soon.
See preview: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=666

The most interesting part about that is that it uses a new Samsung controller, which probably implies that we will see the same technology in a great number of SSD products this year.

Aris

Re: OCZ SUMMIT

Post by Aris » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 am

From what i see, the Intel SSD won almost every benchmark on there except for average write speeds. But its time to write large amounts of small files had the least amount of time. So while it may lag behind on writing large files like you may see with adobe creation, photoshop or video editing, it wins on writing small files like you would see the operating system do a lot of.

heres some quotes i found most useful from the review:

"The performance of the OCZ Summit 250GB SSD is still not besting that of X25-M but it is coming close. "

"It looks like the Summit series of drives will be available near the end of March with capacities of 250GB, 120GB and 60GB. Prices on those drives will be $999, $499 and $249 based on our estimates as well."

That puts its price per GB at $4.16. Intel X25-m is currently selling on newegg for $358 with free shipping for the 80gb model. Putting its price per GB at $4.48. Pretty close, and considering the intel drive is still faster in almost every benchmark, and it comes with a 3 year warrenty as apposed to OCZ's 2 year. I think Intel still has the edge, for now anyhow.

I do like how they are giving intel some competition though, its bringing the price down on the x25-m. Just a month or so ago it was over $200 more than it is now.

HAHA

More and better technology...

Post by HAHA » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 am

More good news...
Smaller, cheaper and faster memory will hit the market later this year and SSD seems to be the main target.

http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Toshib ... e14368.htm

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm

The Corsair SSD seems to be the hidden gem. It uses a Samsung controller instead of the usual JMicron so it doesn't have the stuttering issue (at least according to what few user reviews are out there).

Prices are pretty reasonable, 50% more storage for the same price as the Intel X-25M. The read performance is nowhere near as high but I think this is a great drive for SPCRs. It's silent, has reasonable capacity for the price, and doesn't stutter.

The OCZ Vertex is the other one to look out for, but it is too soon to say at the moment and it is pricier.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 am

fyleow wrote:The Corsair SSD seems to be the hidden gem.
I see no mention of a warrenty on this item whatsoever. Corsairs warrenty page doesnt even list this product.
http://www.corsair.com/warranty/default.aspx

No warrenty = Crap, in my book.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 am

summit = 2nd generation samsung MLC currently being sold by dell in some of it's laptops, proven to be good stuff

corsair = 1st generation samsung MLC

vertex: what will happen when their cache run out? what will happen when you lose power when the system wrote to cache and assumed it was successfully writen but the drive itself has still not commited it to the flash memory

m^2

Post by m^2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Power loss is not a problem. Vertex has a battery (or most likely:capacitor) that keeps memory for the time needed to write it to flash.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Spare Tire wrote:vertex: what will happen when their cache run out? what will happen when you lose power when the system wrote to cache and assumed it was successfully writen but the drive itself has still not commited it to the flash memory
I'm pretty sure it works the exact same way it does for that cache on your traditional HDD you have in your computer. Putting cache to sequence data on mass storage devices isnt a new idea.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Aris wrote:
I see no mention of a warrenty on this item whatsoever. Corsairs warrenty page doesnt even list this product.

It has a 2 year warranty according to the NCIX and Tigerdirect product pages.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:08 am

Aris wrote:

Consumer grade products with no warranty = Crap

That I'd agree with.

Now what makes you think that Corsair would sell an SSD without warranty?

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D Solid State Drive - 128GB, 2.5" SATA
Limited warranty 24 months for parts and 24 months for labor.

Precedents are:

OCZ Solid Series SSD 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series V2 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Apex Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Vertex Series 2 year warranty
OCZ SATA II 2.5" SSD 1 year warranty

Intel X25-E, X25-M, and X18-M SSDs 3 year warranty

Now for extra credit tell me the warranty on this drive http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/z-p230/index.htm

You'll notice the web page nor either of the two PDFs mention the word warranty.

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Might have already been said but you can buy a compact flash card or a microdrive and a IDE converter and use it as an IDE hard drive. Compact flash cards are expensive when they get in big capacities and probably slower than true SSDs.

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 am

Hi,

I posted some benchmarks of the OCZ Vertex 30GB which I received today
viewtopic.php?t=52800&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

More is coming...

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:30 am

thepwner wrote:Might have already been said but you can buy a compact flash card or a microdrive and a IDE converter and use it as an IDE hard drive. Compact flash cards are expensive when they get in big capacities and probably slower than true SSDs.
Agreed. CF cards are fine for small capacities and when their speed is enough for what you do but true SSDs are faster and continously becoming cheaper. Microdrives are much too slow to be used as a hard drive replacement.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 am

dhanson865 wrote:
Aris wrote:

Consumer grade products with no warranty = Crap

That I'd agree with.

Now what makes you think that Corsair would sell an SSD without warranty?

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D Solid State Drive - 128GB, 2.5" SATA
Limited warranty 24 months for parts and 24 months for labor.

Precedents are:

OCZ Solid Series SSD 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series V2 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Apex Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Vertex Series 3 year warranty
OCZ Summit Series 3 year warranty
OCZ SATA II 2.5" SSD 1 year warranty

Intel X25-E, X25-M, and X18-M SSDs 3 year warranty

Now for extra credit tell me the warranty on this drive http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/z-p230/index.htm

You'll notice the web page nor either of the two PDFs mention the word warranty.

new update below
Three year warranty now standard on all Vertex and Summit drives, even the ones already sold to customers

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15629

OCZ is also extending the warranty of all their premium level SSDs to three years. This includes all Vertex and Summit drives including the Mac Edition and Vertex EX, but excludes the Agility series due to their low cost NAND flash. Customers who previously bought Vertex and Summit drives will also have their warranties extended from two years to three. The company cited consumer demand, differentiation from competitors, and confidence in their products as key factors in lengthening the warranty period.

“Extending the warranty makes the OCZ total solution even more robust for consumers, and OCZ believes that product quality should always come first,â€
Last edited by dhanson865 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Heh. So I guess OCZ Core series wasn't Premium when it was introduced. So, OCZ provides post sales support to their Premium customers, and says "tough shit" to all their peon customers...

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:34 pm

The third year of warranty is a good thing, but by that stage a 30gb Vertex would be worth about $15 anyway so the company can't go wrong. Clever.