Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JuliusB

help! new WD10EACS - is this sound bad?

Post by JuliusB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:05 am

I bought a new WD HDD for backup and external usage
WD Caviar GP 1TB 16MB WD10EACS(32ZJB0)
at this time I am testing it to make sure it's ok before starting to copy files
SMART shows everything is OK, formatted it fully, than checked SMART again for changes - everything is fine. tried copying files - fine, installed windows 7 beta - looks fine too.
but when I test hdd with HDTune, it makes some strange "clicking" sound every second(the same time hd tune test graph refreshes). I'm not sure if this is the bad click sound or not, so please watch this video where it is recorded and share your opinion:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojzofjtmzoj
(quicktime, vlc plays fine, ticking is heard at the end of the video when I run HDTune. ticks just like a clock. turn volume up if needed to hear.)
I never had GP drive before, they are energy efficient series with lower rpm and(maybe)different seek algorithms so maybe this sound is normal for these drives?
Should I be concerned about keeping my data on this drive and send it back?

Also is this high Load Cycle Count number normal for this drive?

Though I am mainly concerned about the ticking sound.
Thanks.

havanalocobandicoot

Post by havanalocobandicoot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 am

Looks strange that the sound comes out during seek. In this sticly thread it's talking about the head clunks, the smart value increases, but they are emitted after 10 seconds of inactivity.

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 am

here is a separate file of the sound HDD makes when performing HDTune benchmark test:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mug3zdmqmmt/Vaizd032b.mp3

what do you suggest I should do?
also it's not the same sound as head clunks after idling for 8-10 or so seconds. this is ticking sound, head clunks are different sound(heard that a lot now with this drive).

__Miguel_

Post by __Miguel_ » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 am

Ok, that is officially... weird.

I never heard anything like that in my life, seriously.

Just to be sure, though. Does that happen when you use the HDD on another hard surface? It can be a weird resonanse sound, or the case bobbling from side to side because of the extra vibration (:roll: yes, I'm fishing). Also, can anything moveable be touching a wire inside the case? (I know, very long shot, but hey...)

Appart from that, I can't find any explanation. SMART seems OK (just to make sure, though, run it through a couple more programs, SpeedFan included - this one has an on-line database you can check through the software), so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to be thorough, though, either RMA it, or ask WD support about it.

Cheers.

Miguel

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 am

Hi, Miguel,

the sound is still here even if hold the drive in my hands. And it definitely comes from the drive.

havanalocobandicoot

Post by havanalocobandicoot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am

JuliusB wrote:here is a separate file of the sound HDD makes when performing HDTune benchmark test:

also it's not the same sound as head clunks after idling for 8-10 or so seconds. this is ticking sound, head clunks are different sound(heard that a lot now with this drive).
Yes, indeed it's a different sound than "classic" GP's head. I think that they're "clicking sounds that occur repeatedly", not? If yes, WD says that it's a bad drive. Look this FAQ.

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 pm

havanalocobandicoot wrote:
JuliusB wrote:here is a separate file of the sound HDD makes when performing HDTune benchmark test:

Yes, indeed it's a different sound than "classic" GP's head. I think that they're "clicking sounds that occur repeatedly", not? If yes, WD says that it's a bad drive. Look this FAQ.
from the FAQ:
Step 2: Determine if the problem is the drive or its data cable
Turn off the system. Connect only the power cable to the drive, and turn on the system. If the noise occurs, the problem is with the drive. At this point, continue with Step 3. If the there is no noise, the drive is not at fault. Turn off the system and connect your data cable. Turn on the system. If the noise occurs now, your data cable is faulty and should be replaced.
The ticking noise does not occur if only power is connected, it occurs only when running HDTune benchmark(or HDTach benchmark for that matter), drive tricks every time HDTune disk read speed graph is updated(by default every second, but it is configurable in HDTune).
Data cable is not faulty, I tired with different data cables that work fine for other drives and even tried drive in external usb enclosure.

__Miguel_

Post by __Miguel_ » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:10 pm

I know I'm anal about how my stuff behaves, but this would prompt a drive to the store (this is one of the reasons I seldom buy on-line) and annoy the bejesus out of the store employee. Thankfully, they know me already (they don't need me to tell them my name at the checkout, that's always a weird sign... hehe), and we get along just fine through the process. Unless it's the third time I get in the store to take care of the same issue, that is... By them they know I'm not really in the mood to hear "Sorry, let me see what I can do for you". :twisted:

Btw, an immediate replacement would probably ensue (that's one of the great things with the stores I shop, you usually only need to wait for as long as it takes for them to get hold of an identical piece of hardware - unless it's an expensive component, like a laptop, of course).

So, in short, you'd probably just play it safe. Go to the store, show them that behaviour, and ask them to show you another drive, or demand an RMA on the spot, if they can't/won't do that.

Keep us posted, ok?

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: Oh, I almost forgot... this is probably going nowhere, but just to rule that out. Try changing SATA ports :roll: and/or touching a metal plate on the enclosure while touching the drive at the same time. There are weird behaviours caused by static electricity, and some enclosures (even external ones) have... how to put it... cra**y ESD protections. I have an external enclosure that must NOT me connected to the outlet before the USB cable being connected. If it is connected, sparks WILL fly when the USB connector touches the metal frame on the host... Even with the power button turned off :shock: But it works just fine, actually... Never killed anything, despite that weirdness.

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Miguel,

I tried different SATA ports.
Bought the drive online and would need to send it via courier service and pay additional money for that and then wait. I'm not sure yet if I will send it back or keep it. Trying to find out if it's a normal sound or not now, also contacted WD, but have a hard time talking to them :) I don't know why but I send them mp4 video file or just the recorded audio in mp3(the same file I posted here)and they keep saying they "can't run the file" no matter if I send it directly or via mediafire.com :)
What is, however, interesting is that I listened closely to my other drive (WD5000AAKS, Caviar Blue series)that is also in external case and when doing the same HDTune test it also ticks, but you almost need a phonendoscope to hear it :) while GP drive, on the other hand, ticks much louder.
So maybe it IS a normal sound at the end, but I am not sure yet and still trying to get more information and will decide what to do with the drive next week.
Last edited by JuliusB on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:37 pm

havanalocobandicoot wrote:Yes, indeed it's a different sound than "classic" GP's head.
Do you have a GP tried or have run HDTune bench on it?

__Miguel_

Post by __Miguel_ » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:10 pm

JuliusB wrote:I tried different SATA ports.
Ok, I'm stumped, then...
JuliusB wrote:Bought the drive online and would need to send it via courier service and pay additional money for that and then wait.
That is why I don't shop for HDDs and similar "sensitive" material on-line. Only CPUs (never had one die on me yet) and the occasional memory stick (only those brands I simply cannot find in my usual stores, though till this day I only had one DIMM die on me, and that was because of a short circuit, not from "natural causes").
JuliusB wrote:also contacted WD, but have a hard time talking to them :)
Why am I not surprised with that? :roll: Honestly, I still have to work with a company that doesn't completely screw up support on their services/products. Most recent one for me is my cable operator. I got cable three weeks ago, and I actually had to threaten with not paying them before they even acknowledged there was a problem.
JuliusB wrote:I don't know why but I send them mp4 video file or just the recorded audio in mp3(the same file I posted here)and they keep saying they "can't run the file" no matter if I send it directly or via mediafire.com :)
Probably company policy on attachments or viewable files. There is nothing to do about it if that's the case...
JuliusB wrote:What is, however, interesting is that I listened closely to my other drive (WD5000AAKS, Caviar Blue series)that is also in external case and when doing the same HDTune test it also ticks, but you almost need a phonendoscope to hear it :) while GP drive, on the other hand, ticks much louder.
So maybe it IS a normal sound at the end, but I am not sure yet and still trying to get more information and will decide what to do with the drive next week.
Well, that can mean the sound is by design (or design flaw, whichever you feel better with :P), and that that particular sample deviated from the standard expected variance... Ok, sorry, that is kind of lawyer/marketing/support talk.

In the end, however, drive behaviour seems normal. But your call.

Cheers.

Miguel

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I would not trust my data to it. Plus it's supposed to be quiet,and it certainly is not that.

bing

Post by bing » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:47 am

I agree with psiu, send it back. I like to buy drives in pairs (or greater quantities, if I can,) just for this reason alone. There are other benefits too:

That's (3) wd10ead's in matrix raid (using the first 180gb slice from each drive in raid0.) :lol:

The rest of the drive space was configured in raid5, resulting in a 1.678tb volume.

Anyway, be sure to download WD Tools and run the extended test on it. And, HDTunePro allows for write testing, and enables multiple levels of erasing a drive (zeros, random, DoD, etc.)

Completely filling the drive and then deleting randomly, along with using the tools listed above over few days to a week and remembering to let the drive sit idle (off) for awhile, regularly, to allow full thermal cycling, this is the best way I know of to thrash a drive before putting it into service. Using this method I found one of the three drives in the above config was indeed bad, but the problem showed right away. It did get worse the more I tested. "Reallocated Sectors" and "Reallocation Events",,, the bad drive sounded no different than the good ones. Luckily, buying from NewEgg here in the US they allow for hassle-free RMA, and even sent me a shipping label with which I returned the bad drive.[/img]

JuliusB

Post by JuliusB » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:19 am

bing,

nice results :) Drive passes all tests fine, including WD Tools Extended Test. I think you got lucky in some sense with the bad drive since you saw the problems right away - I would send the drive back in an eye-blink if it would get bad sectors(reallocated sectors)so fast! :)