Does anyone have the WD Caviar Green WD15EADS?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorX

Does anyone have the WD Caviar Green WD15EADS?

Post by RaptorX » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 am

I'm looking to buy a storage HDD and this is no. 1 on my list. I would like to hear some opinions on this drive, especially from owners.
Thank you!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:10 am

Perfectly fine for a large hard drive. I have one in my WHS, which is easily drowned out be all the other noise in that system. I did pick it up while it was turned on and couldn't tell it was spinning until I shut the system down.

Stays very cool with lots of hard drives nearby and a little airflow. Acoustically, I shouldn't be much different from the other EADS drives, and slightly quieter than the AACS series.

It won't break any speed records, but it's fast enough for 99.9% of users.

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 am

Could you post a transfer rate graph form HD Tune 3.5 please? I'm also interested if you can hear the clicks associated with loading/unloading the heads. Thanks for the info!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 am

Unfortunately, the drive is in my Windows Home Server, and part of the drive pool, so individual testing of the drive is not possible without removing it from the system (since Drive Extender is always running). As a result, I any HDTune test I generate would likely not have much meaning. But a Google search turned up this.

As for the clicks, I didn't hear them while the machine booted before I put the system back together. Now that it's tucked back in my closet, I really don't hear them! :P