Any word on the new 2TB drives?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Any word on the new 2TB drives?

Post by klankymen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:44 am

Hi, long time no post.

Newegg has a 15% off deal going on hard drives, and I was thinking about getting 2x2tb to put in my NSK2400.

They are selling a 5400rpm Western Digital and a 5900(wtf)rpm Seagate.

The Seagate is 20 bucks cheaper... does anybody have any experience with either of the drives, how noisy they are?

Possibly also anything known about reliability or common faults?

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm running a 2TB Seagate right now! I installed it yesterday and ran the SeaTools Long Drive Test. It passed 100% perfect after 6.5 hours.

Right now, it is dying. I heard a clicking noise from time to time throughout the day today. Now I'm copying data off it and it is going extremely slow and clicking like crazy the whole time. I may have to go to my backup from the day before.

Hopefully I can secure erase my data before it is completely dead.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Since my last post, I have purchased another 2TB Seagate hard drive. The new one is working great, performs well and is very quiet.

Earlier today, I returned the first 2TB Seagate back to Fry's Electronics. I told the lady what was wrong with it and she plugged the drive into their test computer and quick formatted it. She came back and said nothing is wrong with the drive and asked if I wanted to try it again. I told her I already purchased the replacement which works fine. She refunded my money and I saw she entered it into the computer as "return to stock" and printed out one of their usual "reduced price" stickers. Too bad for the next person to purchase that drive.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Now my second 2TB Seagate is clicking and running slow. Just like the last drive, the clicking starts from time to time and then becomes more and more frequent. This really sucks.

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 am

Sorry to hear mate, hopefully it's just a bad batch and not a bad product.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:26 am

Hi,

I have one 2TB Seagate in an external case for my backup drive for a couple of weeks, and so far so good. It is quiet and low vibration. I'm not running it all the time -- I let it do a couple of backups each day, and then I shut it off.

cwp

Post by cwp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 am

josephclemente wrote:Now my second 2TB Seagate is clicking and running slow. Just like the last drive, the clicking starts from time to time and then becomes more and more frequent. This really sucks.
I'm having a very similar experience with a pair of 2TB Seagates in a RAID-1 setup. It periodically slows down almost to a halt; svctm and atime go through the roof, any form of data access hangs, and then after a few moments it goes back to normal.

I pulled one drive from the array and the problem continues; so I'm going to try pulling the other. It seems hard to believe that both drives could be bad; on the other hand, the drives are the *only* change made in a system that ran flawlessly for months beforehand.