Is AHCI needed with SSD drives?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Is AHCI needed with SSD drives?

Post by JVM » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 am

Since there is no increase in performance and it may decrease performance--see quote below--why use AHCI unless one needs hot swapping? Also, do these new SSD drives need AHCI for any reason in a desktop PC?

"Just a quick reminder for everyone on NCQ. It provides no performance benefit whatsoever in a typical desktop PC. In fact having it enabled usually imposes a small performance penalty, although it too is pretty small. It is only in enterprise environments, in which access patterns are far more random than in windows, and spread out all over the surface of a drive, that any real-word benefit is derived."

http://www.intelforums.net/showpost.php ... stcount=11

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:20 am

You do not need AHCI for SSD to work. They will work just fine in IDE mode. However, SSD drives, at least intel drives perform almost twice as fast at small read/writes with AHCI enabled compared to IDE mode. You just need decent controller, for example early nVidia controllers had problems with AHCI enabled.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:30 am

That was written 2 years ago.

Here's some X25-M benchmarks, first with AHCI off, then with it on:

Image Image

When you have many apps/threads hitting the disk randomly at the same time (which is why you got an SSD in the first place), performance is much better with AHCI on.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:09 pm

My long-in-the-tooth motherboard does not work correctly in AHCI/NCQ mode with the new Samsung F2 HDD, so I had to disable it. My X25-M SSD did not slow noticeably, although benchmarks indicate 240 MB/s vs the 260 quoted above.

The SSD is so much faster than an HDD as a system disk (about 8x for disk pigs like Acrobat Pro), that the further boost of NCQ isn't very important, and in my system, not noticeable.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:45 pm

TRIM requires AHCI. Unless you have a SSD that will never have TRIM support, you want AHCI.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:41 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:That was written 2 years ago.

Here's some X25-M benchmarks, first with AHCI off, then with it on:

Image Image

When you have many apps/threads hitting the disk randomly at the same time (which is why you got an SSD in the first place), performance is much better with AHCI on.
Interesting the 4K Read and Write specs are better with AHCI off. The only significant advantage with AHCI in that test is Read 4K-64Thrd, which I know nothing about. I am interested in typical desktop usage.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Blue_Sky wrote:TRIM requires AHCI. Unless you have a SSD that will never have TRIM support, you want AHCI.
Are you sure about that? I think it was in Anand's review that TRIM was for IDE/AHCI but would not work for RAID until they do some kind of fix. So, I don't know why you say TRIM requires AHCI. Do you have a source of that information?

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:13 pm

JVM wrote:Interesting the 4K Read and Write specs are better with AHCI off. The only significant advantage with AHCI in that test is Read 4K-64Thrd, which I know nothing about. I am interested in typical desktop usage.
NCQ makes handling multiple simultaneous requests more efficient, but adds a little bit of overhead in general.

In the large sequential test (the first one), NCQ helps a little bit, because it makes the drive "read ahead" a little more efficiently. In the small read/write test, the additional overhead of NCQ shows up. There's only 1 read or write request active at a time, so the benefits of NCQ for simultaneous stuff don't apply here. With 64 threads all making 4k read or write requests at once, NCQ really shines, providing a huge boost in performance.

Real desktop usage would be described by a combination of all 3 of these behaviors. The case of 64 threads making tiny little reads all over the disk is a little extreme, so it's not like you'll ever see that seven-fold performance increase by turning on ACHI in real life. A more realistic scenario would be something like 2-5 threads hitting the disk simultaneously, with a mix of small random and large sequential reads and writes.

skiddy

Post by skiddy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:Here's some X25-M benchmarks, first with AHCI off, then with it on:
Image Image
Swivel is showing my test results.

My experience is that AHCI=on feels faster. Note that -every- test run I did showed slight variations in thruput.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 am

skiddy wrote:
swivelguy2 wrote:Here's some X25-M benchmarks, first with AHCI off, then with it on:
Image Image
Swivel is showing my test results.

My experience is that AHCI=on feels faster. Note that -every- test run I did showed slight variations in thruput.
What utility are you using for those benchmarks?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:36 am

I found that AS SSD benchmark tool here in case someone else wants it.