Samsung EcoGreen F2 500GB, 1TB or 1.5TB?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Snurtur

Samsung EcoGreen F2 500GB, 1TB or 1.5TB?

Post by Snurtur » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 am

Can someone confirm the differences in noise between these drives, particularly the 500GB and 1TB versions. Is there an audible difference in noise levels between them?

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 am

The 500GB will be the quietest, the 1 and 1.5TB will be around the same; that is, slightly more noisier than the 500GB single platter which is already very quiet. Idle noise for all of them will be extremely quiet but seeks will be audible unless you suspend them or place them in a noise dampening enclosure.

I bought the 1TB version since it was only AU$20 more than the 500GB. It runs cool, is nearly inaudible to me from more than a meter away but seeks can be a bit of a problem. I haven't got round to suspending it yet so I hope doing that will improve the seek noise.

Nearly everyone who has the EcoGreens notice some chattering, whirring sounds from the drive on occasion. It will do this on startup when it's powered on and when it hasn't been accessed for a while. This seems to be an inherent feature of these series of drives. Although slightly annoying, I don't think it is detrimental to the functioning of the drives. Unlike the Western Digital GreenPower (Caviar Green), the F2 EGs do not park/unload their heads in idle. So it must be something else. Only Samsung knows, probably.

You may be interested in these threads which discuss the F2 EcoGreens here, here and here.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:08 pm

I use the 1TB version and I'm very pleased with it. It is suspended in Antec Solo's stock suspension and thus inaudible from the outside (even seeks, not to mention idle). If I were to compare it to any quiet drive that I had experience with, I'd say that it is more quiet than my old, trusty 40GB Barracuda IV suspended (still in use).

Snurtur

Post by Snurtur » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:50 am

Shamgar wrote:The 500GB will be the quietest, the 1 and 1.5TB will be around the same; that is, slightly more noisier than the 500GB single platter which is already very quiet. Idle noise for all of them will be extremely quiet but seeks will be audible unless you suspend them or place them in a noise dampening enclosure.
Considering the way you put it, I assume the difference in noise between 500GB and 1TB is actually noticeable. Is this correct? I have a lot of space in a NAS placed far away from me (thank goodness, that thing is loud!), so if the 500GB one is quieter, I might as well go with that one instead. Also I will probably put the drive in a Scythe Quiet Drive. Then surely 500GB would be a better pick for complete silence?
Shamgar wrote:I bought the 1TB version since it was only AU$20 more than the 500GB. It runs cool, is nearly inaudible to me from more than a meter away but seeks can be a bit of a problem. I haven't got round to suspending it yet so I hope doing that will improve the seek noise.
Yes, I've heard some people remark on the seeking noise. The Scythe Quiet Drive would take care of that though, correct? Or is it actually better (noisewise) to just suspend it?

Snurtur

Post by Snurtur » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 am

Actually I am reconsidering.

Perhaps it is better to go with a 2.5" drive instead of an EcoGreen. What do you think about this? Performance is a non-issue since this will be a slave drive in the system used for storage only. The main drive will be an SSD.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:31 am

The 1TB will be have slightly more noise because it uses two platters. Samsung's data sheets confirm this. You can think of the 1TB as 2 500GBs and the 1.5TB as 3 disks in one. The noise difference is minimal and will only matter depending on how picky you are about it. Of course, I wish it was quieter (not possible until SSD becomes a main option) but for the price and value, I'll take it. The F2 is one of the best drives ever tested by SPCR for acoustics, power and price -- all the important factors.

If you're going to use SQDs, then you'll probably eliminate all discernable noise from the drives, whichever model you choose. I'll be happy to suspend them in my Solo as I can't get SQDs here and alternatives are quite expensive for me. SQD, suspend, even soft grommet mount should be good enough in most situations. A good thing about the F2s is that they remain remarkably cool. In S.M.A.R.T, I haven't seen my 1TB reach over 30 C. It's usually in the low to mid 20s.

On 2.5" notebook drives, I've tried that route also with varying success. What the F2 desktops give you is a quiet, cool drive with good overall performance and high capacity as well. Unlike most notebook drives and WD GPs and some Hitachi Deskstars, the F2s don't park their heads in idle. I prefer this as I find the parking heads sounds quite annoying. If this, the higher price/capacity ratio, and slower performance doesn't matter to you, then 2.5" can be a good option also. They are far less bulkier than desktop drives although the latter's trait may be see as a benefit even.

In the end, the choice is up to you. You don't know what you'll actually end up with until you get the drives and use them, despite what reviews and user experiences tell you. This is due to sample variance. Most people here who have the F2s seem to be happy with them so far.