Low temp 3.5 HDD 1 to 1.5 TB drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimmyzaas

Low temp 3.5 HDD 1 to 1.5 TB drive

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi,

Any of you know if there is a 3.5" hard drive greater than 1 TB that does not heat up too much in open air?

For example, I have my Samsung F1 in a BlacX dock. In around half an hour (ok.. maybe I exaggerate), the drive would be burning hot.

Are slow spinning 1.5TB WD Greens cool in open air?

Are 2.5" drives my only option?

Ksanderash

Post by Ksanderash » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:32 pm

jimmyzaas
Well, depending on the box -- it must have full metal body for better heat transfer outward. There are models with active cooling also, look at your local store. Another must have when you at 3.5" form-factor is low rpm drive model. EcoGreen2, WD Green, any you like. Not so much energy is spent when 1-2 platters add -- just at startup, noticeably.

Of course, I would recommend 2.5" but they aren't so bulky yet, just 640Gb models.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 am

I'm using a Samsung F2 EcoGreen HD103SI 1TB in an aluminium enclosure -- no active cooling nor any air vents. I was worried at first because I used a WD6400AAKS in the same enclosure where the drive got dangerously hot: ~50°C during summer in a non AC'd room. The F2 EG stays remarkably cool, usually in the low to mid 20s. Judging also by touch, it's significantly cooler than the WD6400AAKS and even my 2.5" 5400RPM Samsung HM160HI.

As Ksanderash said, it is important that you have a good metal enclosure (with some venting if possible) and that you choose a reliable low RPM drive. For backups and secondary storage, it's not crucial to have a "fast" (5400RPM high density drives are quite fast these days) 7200+RPM drive, unless you are doing a lot of critical on the fly recording and editing that demands the extra performance.

If you do need this extra performance gain, then have a look also at Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB. It's receiving a lot of positive feedback from users here, mainly on its high average read speeds and relative quietness. It won't run as cool or quiet as the 5400RPM F2s but it shouldn't be that much hotter either. Can't help you much on the choice of 1.5TB models other than the 3 platter F2 HD154UI as I don't currently have need for drives with that much capacity.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I will look into that EcoGreen, however I haven't been having much luck with Samsung drives. It will be run on a Thermaltake BlacX dock.. so more than half the drive will be naked to open air. I might want to run from a few hours to a few days on this dock.

Like you, based on what I've seen from the AAKS, they run too hot if left out in open air. I'll check out some reviews on that EcoGreen.

I have an Antec Veris also .. but it's loud, the fan has jammed at least once, and its inconvenient to swap hard drives.. complete waste of money.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 am

Ksanderash wrote:Of course, I would recommend 2.5" but they aren't so bulky yet, just 640Gb models.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=685

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 am

jimmyzaas wrote:I will look into that EcoGreen, however I haven't been having much luck with Samsung drives. It will be run on a Thermaltake BlacX dock.. so more than half the drive will be naked to open air. I might want to run from a few hours to a few days on this dock.

Like you, based on what I've seen from the AAKS, they run too hot if left out in open air. I'll check out some reviews on that EcoGreen.

I have an Antec Veris also .. but it's loud, the fan has jammed at least once, and its inconvenient to swap hard drives.. complete waste of money.
Sorry to hear about your bad run of form with Samsung. I've only started using them in the past 12 months or so. Before that, I used Seagate and Western Digital. I didn't expect the AAKS drives to run so hot. They are good all around drives for the money -- but do tend to heat up very quickly. That, along with their slightly higher price here in Australia made me give Samsung a go. Haven't had any real issues so far with the Samsung, though the F2 has louder seeks than I expected. This is using it in the external enclosure. Soft mounting it would pretty much eliminate the seek noise from what others have said, but I'm only using the drive for occasional backups so I'll stick to using it in the enclosure for now.

mark19891989

Post by mark19891989 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:20 pm

I have a pair of F2 1.5tb drives, there in my case, they spend most of the time in the low 30Cs they only spin at 5400rpm, which does make a big difference in heat produced