problems with RAID 0 on Abit IP35, DVD SATA - SOLVED!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kater

problems with RAID 0 on Abit IP35, DVD SATA - SOLVED!

Post by kater » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 am

Halp, guys!

I'm trying to build RAID 0 on my Abit IP35 with 2 WD VR 150GB disks. I also have a DVD on SATA. When the array is built I and all settings in bios done so a fresh install of Vista can be done, the DVD won't recognize the disk. When I switch back to IDE all is cool and the DVD sees the disk and starts installation.

I remember that when I switch my DVD from ATA to a new SATA, I had to disable Jmicron JDB386 controller in bios so that the DVD could work. I've tried disabling and enabling it, but no go.

Can it be that the Jmicron is the cuplrit? What else can I try? What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by kater on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Sounds like you need to load the RAID driver.

kater

Post by kater » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:44 pm

For all I read I thought Vista doesn't need that. XP, yes, you'd need to have drivers on a floppy / USB stick. Not here, tho.

One more explanation - the Vista DVD is OK as it installs when I switch to IDE. The drive itself is perfectly ok, too.

One thing I didn't try was to connect HDDs to different SATA sockets - think that could help? I've already installed Vista in regular mode now and have on just one VR. The other is a superquick storage now ;) But I'm still bent on doing it all.

kater

Post by kater » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:41 am

Sorry for bumping but the problem is solved now and I just wanted to share the solution (courtesy of Hexus and PurePC forums).

When in IDE mode only generic SATA CDROM shows up in the boot menu. When RAID 0 is enabled and configured - lo & behold - another option shows up in the boot menu, being the specific name of the drive (P2 ASUS in my case), and that's what I had to select. Then, the process goes as smoothly as ever. Nothing else had to be played with - only the proper boot drive. Pity that the new, specific drive shows up 2nd from the bottom and is originally hidden in the selection window. One has to scroll down - which, simple as it may be, is not always obvious :/

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:11 am

Thanks for posting the answer. Definitely wouldn't have guessed it!