Quiet Blu Ray Drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scott rosenberg

Quiet Blu Ray Drive

Post by scott rosenberg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:59 pm

after some substitutions (PSU, CPU Cooler) to my original build plan, my near silent HTPC is running and i'm really pleased with the results save one aspect - the Blu Ray drive. i've tried LG and Samsung, but found both to be unacceptably noisy during quiet pasages of movies.

if you are currently using a blu ray drive that is acceptably quiet, i'd love to hear the make and model.

many thanks,
Scott

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:10 am

I have the LG GGC-H20L BluRay/HD-DVD drive. It's very quiet. When playing a BluRay movie it's virtually inaudiable from a couch sitting position if in a home theater. Even from a foot away it's very quiet. Only the initial seek/loading noises are really noticable when loading a menu or disc, skipping tracks, etc, but during movie play it's very quiet.

If your case has a door on it like mine, with the door closed, it's even quieter.

It's a discontinued drive, you can get them on eBay.

edan

Post by edan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm

I have the same LG GGC-H20L and I agree with Edwood. I even find it's "full speed noise" ripping a CD fairly pleasant for a DVD drive, and I've done nothing special to silence it.

Playing a DVD/BR I find it quite quiet. Too bad it has been discontinued :(

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Not sure if the CH08LS10 BD would be much different. I haven't actually used mine to watch a movie as yet so can't comment. The main difference is that the newer drive is slightly faster, but lost HD-DVD support due to some sort of licencing issue.

idale

Post by idale » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:01 am

Eunos wrote:Not sure if the CH08LS10 BD would be much different. I haven't actually used mine to watch a movie as yet so can't comment. The main difference is that the newer drive is slightly faster, but lost HD-DVD support due to some sort of licencing issue.
If it kicks up to full speed it can be noisy, but it seems almost impossible to get it to full speed (it may be locked into a lower speed for noise reasons, though usually this is configurable somewhere).

Under normal use (my normal use doesn't include actually watching BDs since there's various things about my system that PowerDVD thinks don't support HDCP even though they do, but I do a lot of ripping), it's very quiet, so should be a reasonable substitute for the GGC-H20L (which I was going to buy until they got discontinued).

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

i rip the movies to my (home server) storage. stripping away all useless crap that is not movie at this time, too.. so in my htpc, i have nothing but 100% silence. and no need to wade trough menues to just watch a movie, too

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:38 pm

I own the LG GGC-H20L as well. No noise to speak of, playing or ripping. The largest annoyance for me was the super bright blue LED activity light.