Anyone tried double Scythe Quiet Drive'ing a 2.5" HDD?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Strid

Anyone tried double Scythe Quiet Drive'ing a 2.5" HDD?

Post by Strid » Fri May 28, 2010 12:11 pm

As title says! Has anyone tried putting a 2.5" harddrive into two Scythe Quiet Drives? If yes, how would this fare hard mounted?

I'm pretty satisfied with my soft mounted 3.5" HDD in a quiet drive, but I want to move to a mini-ITX case, so I probably will need to hard mount the HDD unit in the 5.25" ODD bay.

Anders

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri May 28, 2010 1:37 pm

I think the best solution in this case would be to use a single 2,5' quiet drive and suspend/soft mount it. I find airborne noise less annoying that vibration induced noise.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:34 am

1. Idle noise wise - if you're fine with 3.5" drive in quiet drive you'll be more than fine with single enclosed 2.5" drive too.

2. 2.5" drives do vibrate, but since their mass is so low even hard mounting them to a steel case shouldn't be a problem, they just aren't heavy enough to transmit vibrations to the case. Scythe quiet drive weighs a lot so if you enclose 2.5" in a single scythe quiet drive there shouldn't be any vibrations.

PS afaik I've read that scythe kind of screwed up with 2.5" quiet drive and you can't really mount it in a 3.5" bay. I'm not sure if that's true, but I would suggest you double check on that. Similarly check on 3.5" quiet drive in 5.25 optical bay.

I suppose if you really want to be anal retentive like most of the people here including me (although I'm slowly coming off of it) your safest option is to use single 2.5" quiet drive and soft mount it in a 5.25 bay.

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:57 am

Hey guys, thank you for the opinions! I really appreciate it. I was wondering if anyone actually had experience in doing so.

On the fitting issues, at least my 3.5" Quiet Drive fits an optical drive bay perfectly, but I haven't tried the 2.5" HDD Quiet drive, though.

Chris Beard
Patron of SPCR

Post by Chris Beard » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 am

I've done this - it does reduce the noise and no vibration is audible hard mounted (although vibration can be felt ever so slightly on the case frame). I have since purchased a 3.5" scythe quiet drive (to put the 2.5" quiet drive in) as seeks got noisier over the space of about 18 months on my scorpio blue.

//Edit//
Just a note on the fitting - the 2.5" quiet drive fits a 3.5" bay where hard drives would normally go. With that said I removed the 3.5" bays as I got sick of not having any installation room. I mounted the 2.5" quiet drive by one side in the 5" bay, but it was a difficult fit.