Just ordered an SSD, how should I configure storage drive?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jordan

Just ordered an SSD, how should I configure storage drive?

Post by Jordan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 am

Just ordered myself a 64GB Crucial C300 :)

While I do do work and play the occasional game on the PC, 90% of the time I just browse the web and occasionally listen to music while I do so. My 500GB F1 will now be my storage drive and it's pretty much the only noise source in my PC.

So how should I manage the storage drive to minimise the noise? I can't manage this drive's power individually with Windows 7, can I? When I placed the order I was thinking I could just set it to power down after 5 mins. I could have even squeezed my music onto the SSD to really reduce accesses.

I could set AAM to its max but should I even consider swapping the storage drive for a 5,400RPM green drive or laptop drive? :oops:

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 am

Buy a disk silencer (Scythe has one). The F1 serie is really quiet so you can quiet it down even more. Then apply some foam padding to your system to minimize the noise around the drive (and dampen the sound for the drive in the silent box).

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 am

Were I you, I'd sell Samsung F1 and get a 5400RPM HDD like WD Green or Samsung EcoGreen. To further reduce noise and vibration, I'd change HDD AAM value to max. Frankly speaking, that's what I'm running my system now.

1x Kingston 64GB SSD
1x WD10EADS, 5400RPM
1x WD10EARS, 5400RPM

Btw, it looks like WD has just released 2TB Green with 3-platters in Japan. Can't wait for SPCR review .......

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 am

There is no way to separately manage the power settings of different drives.

I am not clear, but it is possible that SSDs don't like to be powered down. If anyone has an opinion on this, I'm all ears.

Anyway, if you want to take it to the extreme like me... :oops: I bought a USB 3.0 card and a compatible external enclosure for my platter drive (640 GB WD Scorpio Blue) so it is only on when I want it on, which is a minority of the time. In theory it should be as fast as an internally mounted drive. If you went this route, there would be nothing stopping you from using your existing 3.5" drive with a suitable enclosure.

Congrats on the SSD purchase by the way, I suspect you'll be very pleased. Is your system SATA 6 compatible?

nwbdan

Post by nwbdan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 am

I use revoSleep to turn off my storage drive whenever I don't need it. Also, I've got all my music on my main HDD so that I can listen to it while on the web, etc, with my storage drive off. I just basicly run a backup of my music back to the storage drive whenever I feel like it.
So yeah, there's a way to manage the power of HDD independently in Windows 7. http://revosleep.realspooky.de/

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for all the replies :D
BlackWhizz wrote:Buy a disk silencer....
I had a Scythe Silent Box before - it was actually the SPCR review model that I bought from the lab sale :lol: However, while it cut out airborne noise completely, vibrations increased vs suspended. It was really 50/50 so I sold it on. My P180 HDD bay is lined with MuteMatt Plus already.
loimlo wrote:Were I you, I'd sell Samsung F1 and get a 5400RPM HDD like WD Green or Samsung EcoGreen.
I mentioned I was considering this route so it's good to know someone who has tried and tested approves! My storage requirements are relatively tiny: I currently use 190GB of my 500GB drive.
Eunos wrote:Anyway, if you want to take it to the extreme like me...

Congrats on the SSD purchase by the way, I suspect you'll be very pleased. Is your system SATA 6 compatible?
I currently have a 320GB Samsung 2.5" in an IcyBox with a power switch for backups... I was actually thinking of putting this in my desktop for storage and using my 500GB as a back-up drive in another IcyBox. It actually took a lot of effort to find a 2.5" drive enclosure with a power switch! I hadn't considered using e-SATA or USB3 for external storage. I will try pushing the AAM on my current drive up to max before spending any more on drives to see how I get on.

My board is an older 965P chipset board, just SATA-300. The way I use drives though, it will be access times that really benefit me.
nwbdan wrote:I use revoSleep to turn off my storage drive whenever I don't need it.
I actually came across this. It was posted on another forum where the user was asking a similar question but it proposed by a user with only one or two posts so figured it might just be self-promotion spam... I will try this out first.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:36 am

I may have decided on a solution earlier today - thoughts?

I am actually moving into a flat with my girlfriend and we will have a PC and 2 laptops. I am thinking NAS may be the way to go, one with Gb LAN connected to direct my PC and wireless for the laptops might be absolutely perfect. Has anyone made any custom silencing enclosures for NAS boxes without overheating them? :lol:

The new flat is off a main street anyway so PC noise might not be such a concern any more! I don't think (hope) the noise of traffic will bother me as it's not a distinct, repeating noise.

nwbdan

Post by nwbdan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Jordan wrote:I may have decided on a solution earlier today - thoughts?

I am actually moving into a flat with my girlfriend
Congrats :wink: