quiet cdr

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

quiet cdr

Post by pingu666 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:49 am

looking for a quiet cdr, will consider dvd/cdr combos. i think my cdr is dieing/died its a combo and dvd still works/ed ok. and does anyone know of a yamaha drive still in stock? the nifty tattoo one 8).
cheap is good, cos i dont work :lol: . be buying in a week - 3 weeks
which one u guys recommend? not like i can go anywhere else and ask with confidence :D :?

karmasalad

Post by karmasalad » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:54 am

I just got myself the LG GC-4480 CD-RW/DVD combo drive. See it here: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... CC%2D4480B

I got it based on many favorable comments and reviews about its quietness, and I can attest to that. The tray mechanism is especially smooth and quiet. The other day I finished burning a CD, and I didn't even notice the tray had opened because I didn't hear anything. :D

It makes a low fan-like sound when burning, but I think that'll happen with any burner at these high-speeds. I recommend it highly.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:06 am

I just got the Samsung 352 CDRW/DVD combo. It also is very silent, and has a nice smooth tray, especially compared to my old Lite-on :)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:13 am

thinking about a 2nd hand lg drive
this one LG 48x24x48x16 IDE Internal CD-RW (combo) - OEM

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:55 am

definately avoid Liteon.. I am continually impresed by how quiet LG is able to make their drives, while Liteon,etc are loud as hell

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:06 am

looks like ill be taking it ;)
whats the cd site that tells u the features of the drive, max cdr size etc?

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:08 pm

the only quiet CD drive I've ever heard is the emulator on my hard drive. And I'd certainly have to recommend it too, there's no other way to use CDs!

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:53 pm

lol indeed ;)
but i need burner :\

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:00 pm

well ive bought the drive and should get it on monday :)
ta for your help lads/ladettes :)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:09 pm

miker wrote:I just got the Samsung 352 CDRW/DVD combo. It also is very silent, and has a nice smooth tray, especially compared to my old Lite-on :)
I've been looking at that Samsung drive, it sure does get consistently great reviews for its performance.

Samsung also says that this drive includes their "DVA (Dynamic Vibration Absorber) for reduced noise and vibration".

So, is this Samsung drive as quiet as they say? How does it compare to other quiet models (like the LG for example)?

8)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:21 pm

it does look like teh tray is gonna burst open

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:16 pm

I have the Samsung either the 332 or 348 (sorry, not at that computer ATM). It's quiet while watching DVDs but not as quite with reading/writing CDs. When I get another burner, I might be looking into that LG one. Oh, and my Samsung does state it has that DVA.

But then again, I want to buy a DVD burner next. I don't think enough people have them to figure out which ones are quiet. Are any of them quiet?

When people talk about a quiet CDR drive, I think all the operations should be mentioned with regards to quietness: (1) reading CDs (2) playing DVDs (3) writing CDR/CDRW and possibly (4) reading DVD (data).

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:40 am

Absolutely no CDRW drive on earth is silent when writing (or reading for that matter) at 52x.

In my personal experience LG and Samsung models are the least noisy even at 52x when compared to the competition. Not silent, but least noisy.

This is why I have my Plextor Premium set to max 40x in firmware. Much less noise and still very respectable performance.

Some drives can be set to a lower speed using the Nero Drive Speed utility (part of Nero burning rom).

regards,
Halcyon

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:06 am

Radeonman wrote:What the hell do you need to burn at 52x for?!

Burn at 16, enjoy life, get yourself a cup of tea.
Amem.

I bought my fancy-ass 40x Plextor last year and very rarely ever burn at over 20x. Unless you're burning dozens and dozens of discs every day it shouldn't be an issue. Fire up the burner at 20x, go get a drink of water or pee, come back and your burn is done. I use the extra 1.5 minutes of difference beetween a 40x and 20x burn to go give the wife a little hug or something. That kind of thing goes a long way. :)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:52 am

halcyon wrote:...Some drives can be set to a lower speed using the Nero Drive Speed utility (part of Nero burning rom)...
You can get the Nero Drive Speed Utility, among other cool utilities, at this link if interested.

8)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:14 am

I don't need 52x burning nor reading :)

I just stated the obvious fact that people overlook when they try to find a silent drive. It is the rotational speed that causes the most of the obnoxious noise of modern drives.

Also, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a drive that reads/burns at less than 48xnominal cd-speed. Well, some Sony's still come with default 40x speed, even though they use LiteOn 48x or 52x mechanisms.

If you combine that with the fact that not all drives respond to the ATAPI set_speed command (i.e. you can't use Nero Drive Speed to lower the speeds and noise), then you have a potential noise problem.

best regards,
Halcyon

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:37 pm

ok a quick report, ive had a virus so not done much testing :(
dvd its damn quiet, no nasty noise, a whhooose thats muted, cdr writin and reading its louder, but its at bottom end of noise compared to other drives. ive yet to screw it to case properly its just sitting atop another cd drive, but im very pleased with it ;)
it hasnt produced any really nasty noises like IM EATING YOUR CD NOW MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AND THERES NOTHING U CAN DO. *CRRRRRRUUUUUUUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* :)
if u buy one ull be happy, oh and it hasnt done a dud disc, but ive gotta check em for virus :\\

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:57 am

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... 27-151-021
ok im looking at the samsung 252 cd-rw. Mainly because its black. Does anyone know if it is quiet, or can be made quiet by nero or other software? I dont care how loud it is when burning but i want it quiet when reading data.

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:37 pm

The new Plextor Premium would be my choice hands down. Its "quiet mode" features work really well. Only problem is that the Plextor Premium comes at a Premium price...

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/Premium.html

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:40 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:I bought my fancy-ass 40x Plextor last year and very rarely ever burn at over 20x. Unless you're burning dozens and dozens of discs every day it shouldn't be an issue. Fire up the burner at 20x, go get a drink of water or pee, come back and your burn is done. I use the extra 1.5 minutes of difference beetween a 40x and 20x burn to go give the wife a little hug or something. That kind of thing goes a long way. :)
Also burning at slower speeds generally lead to cleaner burns, (i.e. less errors) so thats always a good thing.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:31 am

Burning at lower speeds doesn't always or even generally lead to cleaner burns (less errors).

This is very drive and media dependent issue.

It seems that many LiteOn drive's do not produce better results at slower speeds (on high speed media), but Plextor Premium can often produce better results at lower speeds (even on high speed media).

However the results are very inconclusive to draw any larger generalisations for a wider population of cd-rw burners.

regards,
Halcyon

Ref: CDFreaks discussion forums where at least I and rdgrimes have performed tests/relative measurements on the effects of varying burning speeds.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:28 am

i imagine cheap cdr drives like my dads dont like high speeds at all
coaster every time :(
my liteon been fine tho btw :D

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:59 pm

halcyon wrote:"Burning at lower speeds doesn't always or even generally lead to cleaner burns (less errors)."
"Plextor Premium can often produce better results at lower speeds (even on high speed media)."
Huh? Wasn't I posting in reply to someone who owned a plextor drive? Plus comparing a Lite-On to a Plextor is a little like apples and oranges isn't it?
Personally I haven't done extensive tests, but the guys that I know who are into Audio Mastering all choose Plextor drives and have found that each drive has a sweet-spot with their favorite media (usually TY) which gives them the lowest C1/C2 and the like.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:42 pm

run away from the scary audiophiles ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:57 am

pingu666 wrote:run away from the scary audiophiles ;)
Huh?

Just because somebody wants to make an accurate and error-free copy of the original disk wouldn't make them a "scary audiophile" in my book, but of course YMMV. :)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:06 am

Bigred,

my apologies if I came across not ageeing with you.

I merely wanted to point out that the issues are not clear cut, as you say yourelf.

It's the combination of the media, the burned and the speed.

The swee spot vary according to these.

regards,
Halcyon

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:24 pm

Oh okay cool. Its hard to read the person's "tone of voice" over the internet. :)

Exactly. TY's and FujiFilm are awesome on Plextor's but apparently Lite-On (i think) doesn't like TY at all. Which is odd, since TY is generally regarded as one of the (if not the) best media brands.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:03 pm

i was joking..
sorta :D
i use cheap media :|

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:46 am

pingu666 wrote: i use cheap media :|
mmm...so did I, back in the day.

I used the Imations and whatever else I could get free or extra cheap with rebates and such.

And now about 50% of those CDrs are almost unreadable. :cry: They were recorded at 1x or 2x on a Yamaha SCSI CDrw and they're still turning to garbage now. And there's nothing I can do to stop it either, other than dump the still-usable files back onto a drive and re-record them.

I switched to T-Y's a few years back, and so far, so good.

/Ralf crosses fingers.