Wondering: No one mentions [sponges] to reduce vibration.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Wondering: No one mentions [sponges] to reduce vibration.

Post by kuzzia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 am

First of: The HD cage in Cooler Master 500 Sileo DOESN'T reduce vibration (sadly. It is otherwise VERY practical and easy-to-use!)

So I used the advice from SPCR in their advices on reducing vibration: "Soft foam under HDD on floor of case" (rated "best")

BUT INSTEAD, of using soft foam I've used a couple of spunges for dish-washing for each of my 2 HD's (models mentionned in signature). From being the noisiest component(s) in my quiet computer, the HD's are now overshadowed by the noise of the stock fan of my PSU (Corsair VX450W). That's alot!

So, I'm wondering: Why hasn't anyone reported spunges as a way to reduce vibration? Or is it just my case with it's insulating foam on the sides and on the bottom of the case, or haven't I listened closely enough? Maybe it HAS been reported before or maybe it's too obvious? I don't know.. Have any of you guys ever experimented with spunges to kill vibration?

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 am

Because they block the airflow :).

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:14 am

A sponge is soft foam. Also, if you spell it correctly and search, you'll find a lot of talk about sponges.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

They also dry out and lose much of their benefit.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

I see. Thanks for the info Swivelguy, my English usually comes directly from the dictionaries.

fumino

Post by fumino » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm

shoggy sandwich!

sponges have quieted water cooling pumps for years now. for hdd's though, it would seem that the insulating effects would not be ideal when compared to something like suspension. certainly though, if it is effective at damping the vibrations, its worth a few degrees in my book.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I`ve used sponges too, they are great at reducing vibrations and very easy to source.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:01 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:A sponge is soft foam. Also, if you spell it correctly and search, you'll find a lot of talk about sponges.
Yes, and I posted about a hard drive mounting solution using high density foam, as many others have also. But that was 4-5 years ago and hard drives are generally much more quiet, and with much less vibration than before. Many computer enclosures (especially Antec) offer stock hard drive mounting grommets made from silicone that are just as effective IMO (unless you have a really bad drive).

Quietstick
Friend of SPCR

Coolermaster Sileo 500 - handy!

Post by Quietstick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Mate

I've just posted a similar setup - I just used the sponge on the bottom of the case (I have the same one as you) and small cut out high density foam 'feet' to allow airflow. See: viewtopic.php?t=59642

Whilst the racks don't dampen the noise, they are very handy to lock your disks into / take out and place on the sponge floor if you move the PC around.

I've got one disk under the mainboard area and one just sitting with no clamps in the bottom HDD area, kept away from the sides of the case with a bit of yoga mat cut out.

Imcidentally I've got my front fan on a controller and the back one switched to a Nexus. The intel fan is 'loud' but throttles down (together with the back one) with the bundled ASUS control software. Think the PSU is the loudest thing. Using a fanless Sapphire 4350 which suits my mainly watching video / HD needs.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Quietstick: What Asus control software are you using?

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:19 pm

This is what I used to mount the pump in my watercooled system, it could work like a sponge to quiet and isolate a hard drive. It is called "Petra's Gel Stuff:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html

This stuff is very soft and yet gel-like. It should absorb just about anything reasonable in the way of vibrations.

You could use it in place of a sponge to set your drive on, but then cooling might be a worry.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm

I use half inch thick foam and 'sandwich' the drives into my drive cage instead of mounting them. They can breathe and are effectively decoupled, and the pressure takes care of the whooshy idle noise as well.