I can't decide on a secondary hdd for my quiet desktop.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

I can't decide on a secondary hdd for my quiet desktop.

Post by DG » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:45 am

My primary desktop has a SSD for OS and programs so i just need only one internal 1 TB hard disk (2 platters) for storage (and mostly streaming music and video). I need it to have low vibrations, because i don't have room for suspension.

I can't decide between these:

-WD Blue EALS 7200RPM drive. I heard it's a quiet, speedy drive, but i don't know how it compares to the Eco, low RPM, drives below in terms of sound.

-WD Green EARS 5400RPM. From all the WD Green drives, i'm attracted to the 4 KB sectors that this drive has, and since i don't use Win XP, this is not a problem. But i still have my reservations about the Green line, with its head parking issue.

-Samsung F3 Eco 5400RPM. The only thing i don't like is it apparently makes strange, audible sounds at spin up and spin down. I'm not really comfortable hearing those sounds every time my pc boots up or shuts down.

I don't know how these 3 drives compare in terms of:
1. Vibration
2. Seek noise
3. Idle noise

I'm not interested in the power reduction aspect, because i only have 1 drive in use and the differences are nothing major anyway. 5400RPM only appeals to me because maybe it's more reliable in the long run (less strain on the motor and bearings) and generates less noise. In theory, at least...That's why i've also included the EALS 7200RPM drive on my potential shopping list.

DG

Post by DG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 am

Anyone? i need to buy it tomorrow or the day after...

fjf

Post by fjf » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 am

I just got a new WD20EADS. This thing is heavy as a brick, but pretty much silent. A good choice. The EARS should be (mechanically) the same.