Vertex 2 - which version do I have?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pinkfloydhomer

Vertex 2 - which version do I have?

Post by pinkfloydhomer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 am

I recently bought a OCZ Vertex 2. As far as I understand, there are three versions of this drive:

1) The original 34nm version
2) The controversial first 25nm version that was slower and had less usable space
3) The updated 25nm version that is supposed to be as fast as the original and have the same amount of usable space

Also, OCZ is offering free replacements of 2) to 3). But how do I know if I have 2)?

How can I tell which version I have?

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Re: Vertex 2 - which version do I have?

Post by AznJason » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am

pinkfloydhomer wrote:I recently bought a OCZ Vertex 2. As far as I understand, there are three versions of this drive:

2) The controversial first 25nm version that was slower and had less usable space
3) The updated 25nm version that is supposed to be as fast as the original and have the same amount of usable space

Also, OCZ is offering free replacements of 2) to 3). But how do I know if I have 2)?

Depends on the size of your drive. If it's a 60GB drive and it shows up as 51GB formatted in Windows or if it's a 120GB drive and it shows up as 107GB formatted in Windows, then you have 2.

pinkfloydhomer

Post by pinkfloydhomer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:04 pm

AznJason wrote:
pinkfloydhomer wrote:I recently bought a OCZ Vertex 2. As far as I understand, there are three versions of this drive:

Depends on the size of your drive. If it's a 60GB drive and it shows up as 51GB formatted in Windows or if it's a 120GB drive and it shows up as 107GB formatted in Windows, then you have 2.
It's a 120 GB and it shows up as 111 GB. But then it could be both 1) and 3). So which is it?

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:00 pm

It is recommended trying OCZ Toolbox 2.33, but there is plenty of helpful info available.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... ifications.

AznJason
Friend of SPCR

Post by AznJason » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

pinkfloydhomer wrote: It's a 120 GB and it shows up as 111 GB. But then it could be both 1) and 3). So which is it?
Depends on when you got it. The toolbox will only show that it has a 32Gbit die size. Realistically, if you got it late last year, it should be 32/34nm. If you got it just now, it's probably 25nm. There's no guaranteed way to know for sure unless you crack it open. Btw, if you know what firmware version (in addition to when you got it), that could help too.