WD Green HDD vibration

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SSL

WD Green HDD vibration

Post by SSL » Thu May 19, 2016 9:20 am

I have a 3TB WD Green drive, purchased on 20 Feb 2016. Is it normal for it to have so much vibration that it is audible through the floor in the room below? In comparison, my 2TB WD Red drive is practically inaudible from a foot away.

The amount that the drive vibrates hasn't changed since I got it, but the resulting hum is much more obvious after I moved the drive and removed the top drive cage in my case for better airflow. The case is a Fractal Design Define R4.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: WD Green HDD vibration

Post by Vicotnik » Thu May 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Hello and welcome to SPCR!

Some HDDs vibrate more than others. Try to decouple it from the case. There are many ways to do that. Check this thread for ideas
- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19147

SSL

Post by SSL » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Vicotnik wrote:Hello and welcome to SPCR!

Some HDDs vibrate more than others. Try to decouple it from the case. There are many ways to do that. Check this thread for ideas
- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19147
Thank you for the suggestion. I may have to go the decoupling route. Do you know, is hard drive noise something of a lottery, or can I expect the Red drives to generally be quieter than the Green?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri May 20, 2016 12:34 am

They are the same I think. The early drives are more quiet than the more recent ones according to reports, and also according to the data sheets, but that is due to louder seeks not any differences in idle noise as far as I know.
The number of platters makes a difference and there are some individual differences. If it vibrates like crazy you might want to return it, but if it's "normal vibration" just decouple it.