OC Forums take on quiet HDD mounting

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

OC Forums take on quiet HDD mounting

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:55 pm

Jeez, after the dustup in the last thread I posted about one of these OC forums "How To" articles I'm kind of reluctant to post a link to another one, but what the heck. I'll post it and crawl safely back into my SLK3700 and close the door. You guys can fight it out without me. :)

The article is called "Step-by-Step: How to Quiet those Hard Drives". It's by "cmcquistion" who's the same guy that wrote the other article that I linked.
Last edited by Ralf Hutter on Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:56 pm

I like wood... There are no pics of the drives inside a case though. Hmm... I have to be careful...

Jan

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:26 am

Looks neat.

(and gives credit to mike :-))

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:30 am

yeah looks neat:)

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:18 pm

And to think, all I did was put a couple of pieces of foam in my case to hold my Cheetah, and everything is quiet!

I think he just wanted to do some woodwork.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:15 pm

He does a nice job of giving credit where it's due. It's not the simplest way to suspend hard drives, but it looks neat. I agree with Jan Kivar: wood is good. :D

exrcoupe

Post by exrcoupe » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:05 am

How are you supposed to mount it in the case? If you happen to move the case, the wood structure would slide around.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:34 am

exrcoupe wrote:How are you supposed to mount it in the case? If you happen to move the case, the wood structure would slide around.
I don't think this technique is intended for a LAN box, if that's what you mean. You could get creative and use some suction cups and clamps or something :)

silentbob

Post by silentbob » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:07 am

Thank you all, for your positive comments.
SometimesWarrior wrote:He does a nice job of giving credit where it's due...
I tried, very hard, to give more credit to SPCR this time around. I upset some folks with the lack of credit/mention to SPCR in my previous articles. This shock-mount hard drive rack, was inspired completely by the knowledge shared by this great website and MikeC, in particular.
Jan Kivar wrote:I like wood... There are no pics of the drives inside a case though. Hmm... I have to be careful...

Jan
I forgot to take a picture of it, inside the case, before I had to return the digital camera.

I will re-borrow the camera, sometime next week maybe, and edit the forum-version of the article with a picture of it, mounted inside the case.
miker wrote:
exrcoupe wrote:How are you supposed to mount it in the case? If you happen to move the case, the wood structure would slide around.
I don't think this technique is intended for a LAN box, if that's what you mean. You could get creative and use some suction cups and clamps or something :)
For what it's worth, I have one of these installed in my main computer at home. I take this computer to work, and back home (a 37 mile trip, each way) at least once a month, sometimes more. I've been doing this for over a year and I haven't had any trouble with it and I don't even have it attached to anything, it is just set in the bottom of the case. The hard drive cage above, long PCI cards behind, and misc case structures all keep it in place. I even set the case on its side, whenever fooling with the PSU or heatsinks. No problems with the drives coming out.

I think a couple Velcro pads could keep it stuck to the bottom of the case, really nicely, if necessary. Alternatively, you could drill a couple small holes in the bottom of the case and run some zip ties up, around the short dowel, and back down. This would be a REALLY sturdy way of mounting the shock-mount hard drive rack to the bottom of the case.

silentbob

Post by silentbob » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:05 am

I've updated the forum-version of the article, with some pics of the rack installed in a mid-tower Antec case.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthrea ... did=234798

*EDIT* I tried to post the pics, here, but they won't show up for some reason, though they work fine at the Overclockers.com forum :(

This particular machine doesn't have many peripherals and no long PCI cards, so the hard drive rack would need something to hold it in place, if it were used for a LAN box. This is just a backup office machine, though. I carry it around the building, but it doesn't go on road trips ;)

*EDIT* I also added a reply in the forum-version of my article, with some pics and instructions for soft-mounting hard drives, using foam.