Cuda IV - WOWZERS!!!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Cuda IV - WOWZERS!!!

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:34 pm

So I've got a functional Cuda IV now (different purchase, have yet to send the dead one in to Seagate). Got it hooked up to the footstool system. Whole thing is out in the open, no case to quiet things down.

Gee-GADS that drive is QUIET!!! I've been reading all this stuff about them, but really had no clue it could be this good. The system has two L1As at 6volts each, and the Cuda IV. I have to get almost to 1' to hear anything. Even when the Cuda is seeking, geez.... quiet.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:27 am

I have a Cuda V, they are suprisingly quiet as well. I'm happy with mine, but are Barricuda IVs actually quieter? EDIT: my bad, sounds like they are (according to practically everyone here at SPCR. Wow!)

I think the Seagate website claims IVs and Vs are the same, but then again their new rankings of both the Vs and 7200.7 is <2.5 bels. They both may be less than 2.5bels, but the Vs w/ Seashell are certainly quieter.

What's the improvement these new "plus" drives have? there is a plus for Barracuda V and for Barracuda 7200.7. Any better performance/quietness?

EDIT: and what about the Cuda V SATA, anyone know if it is louder or a better performer?

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:23 pm

the plus drives I believe have the 8MB cache.. I really havent followed seagate's drive names lately.

The serial ATA ATA-V (that's alot of vowels) is mechanically identical the the P-ATA version, except it is electronically a S-ATA drive.. the 1st production S-ATA drive in fact(although it supports none of S-ATA's advanced features).

Seagate was also the 1st to introduce the 1st S-ATA drive that *does* support S-ATA advanced features like tagged command queuing/out of order delivery... not sure about hot swap. This is, of course, the 7200.7

All other drives that are out are actually P-ATA drives with a S-ATA converter tagged on.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:27 am

The first 7200.7 Barracuda's are not native SATA and do not support NCQ (native command queueing for SATA). The upcoming 100 GB/platter 7200.7 Barracudas are native SATA with full NCQ support.

The latter are yet to hit retail as I write this.

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/new ... 22,00.html
Last edited by halcyon on Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:34 am

100gig platter :O
sweet :D