I might have a line on SATA Spinpoints in the US

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:25 pm

Looks like Samsung is following Seagate in regard to AAM management. Apparently the samsung SATA drives come with AAM enabled but the setting cannot be changed - just like in Seagate.

I don't know what the setting is, but if it's set for Performance instead of Quiet, :roll: there is nothing you can do about it - at least not at present.

Hopefully they come set for Quiet. :D

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:10 pm

JVM wrote:Looks like Samsung is following Seagate in regard to AAM management. Apparently the samsung SATA drives come with AAM enabled but the setting cannot be changed - just like in Seagate.

I don't know what the setting is, but if it's set for Performance instead of Quiet, :roll: there is nothing you can do about it - at least not at present.

Welcome to the SPCR Forums! :)

Would you mind posting the source of your information on the Samsung SATA AAM settings? And which model of Seagate do you refer to when you say "just like Seagate?"

It seems you are not posting based on personal experience or your wouldn't be hoping (lack of certainty) for a quiet setting.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:44 am

aphonos wrote:
JVM wrote:Looks like Samsung is following Seagate in regard to AAM management. Apparently the samsung SATA drives come with AAM enabled but the setting cannot be changed - just like in Seagate.

Welcome to the SPCR Forums! :)

Would you mind posting the source of your information on the Samsung SATA AAM settings? And which model of Seagate do you refer to when you say "just like Seagate?"

It seems you are not posting based on personal experience or your wouldn't be hoping (lack of certainty) for a quiet setting.
My source is Samsung. I've read all about Samsung in this thread and got real interested. I know that Seagate SATA drives have their AAM set for performance and it cannot be changed to my knowledge. I decided to contact Samsung and sure enough, I found out from technical support that AAM is enabled in their SATA drives but _cannot_ be changed. There is no utility to change the AAM setting on SATA drives.

Sooo, if Samsung has it set for performance rather than quiet - just like Seagate in their SATA drives - then the PATA drives will be quieter than the SATA drives.

I don't know what it's set at. I am still awaiting a reply from technical support at Samsung to this very question.

Oh, and glad to be hear. :)

JohnMK

Post by JohnMK » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:23 pm

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Samsung says AAM is enabled. This means the drives are set for quiet mode, correct? So why are you contacting them again? Just trying to get a second opinion?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:00 pm

JohnMK wrote:You seem to be contradicting yourself. Samsung says AAM is enabled. This means the drives are set for quiet mode, correct? So why are you contacting them again? Just trying to get a second opinion?
If it were that simple, the people at Samsung's technical support would have said so. The fact is they _do_not_know_ what the setting is. If they don't know, I surely don't know either. There was even some dispute as to whether AAM was even in the S-ATA drives. So now they have confirmed there is AAM in the S-ATA drives. They also have confirmed there is no utility to change whatever setting there is in AAM in S-ATA drives. They do not know what the setting is. They are contacting Korea and will be contacting me with the answer.

All I can do is wait. I wouldn't assume the setting, if there is AAM, is Quiet. I hope so, but we don't know that yet. It is still _possible_ that the S-ATA drives are set differently than the P-ATA drives.

netgo

Post by netgo » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:41 pm

Hello Ralf,

I am new here. Please let me know of your contact point. I will order two 1614C. Newegg has no more stock.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:01 am

Hello netgo, welcome to SPCR!

Unfortunately, in the 2 weeks since I originally posted this thread he has sold out of the SATA drives and his supplier has no more either. At this point I'd say either be patient and wait for Newegg to get more stock (I'm sure they will), search for alternate suppliers or go with the PATA versions.

JohnMK

Post by JohnMK » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:11 am

The noise attributes are identical when you check the specifications page on Samsung's website. 2.7 idle, 2.8 seek. SATA vs. PATA. Same. Does this lead us to any conclusions on whether AAM is enabled by default on SATA drives from Samsung, or not?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:39 am

JohnMK wrote:The noise attributes are identical when you check the specifications page on Samsung's website. 2.7 idle, 2.8 seek. SATA vs. PATA. Same. Does this lead us to any conclusions on whether AAM is enabled by default on SATA drives from Samsung, or not?
Nope. During my conversation with Samsung technical support, I asked him to check the bel ratings for both SATA and PATA versions and the spec sheet lists the SAME bel rating for ALL their Spinpoint drives regardless of capacity. This defies all logic and he agreed.

I was told that an answer to this question of AAM and at what setting is supposed to be answered in a few days. They are contacting Samsung in Korea and are supposed to get back to me either by phone or e-mail. Needless to say, I am very anxious to hear their response.

I would imagine there are many people who think that both SATA and PATA versions of the same capacity would give same acoustical result - and I hope that is true. However, at this point we do not know if that is true.

Schlotkins

Hmmmm

Post by Schlotkins » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:38 am

Well, I know there's a subjective opinion on noise from HDD, but it appears to me the Samsung drive is still noisier than the IV with the new 7K250 even quieter according to storagereview.com... of course, the new Rapter is ridiculously quiet.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchm ... h_sort.php

Schlotkins

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Hmmmm

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:32 pm

Schlotkins wrote:Well, I know there's a subjective opinion on noise from HDD, but it appears to me the Samsung drive is still noisier than the IV with the new 7K250 even quieter according to storagereview.com... of course, the new Rapter is ridiculously quiet.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchm ... h_sort.php

Schlotkins
Oh bullshit.

If that's what they're saying, what does that say about their credibility regarding noise level measurements? Of course we've talked about this before. SR's tests are wonderful and thorough but their noise measurements aren't valid in real-world conditions.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:00 pm

I like it. Short and sweet and to the point. What more can be said? :D

Schlotkins

OK!

Post by Schlotkins » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:55 pm

Just wondering.. wasn't saying one was right or the other. Just a silent PC idiot.

Thanks,
Schlotkins

Schlotkins

OK!

Post by Schlotkins » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:10 pm

Just wondering.. wasn't saying one was right or the other. Just a silent PC idiot.

Thanks,
Schlotkins

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:30 pm

Don't worry, I was just teasing you.

I shall join your Silent PC idiots club, then at least ppl will know to ignore what I say ! ;)
Btw - you have posted your last comment twice

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:27 am

caught by the deadly double post!!!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: OK!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:13 am

Schlotkins wrote:Just wondering.. wasn't saying one was right or the other. Just a silent PC idiot.

Thanks,
Schlotkins
I wasn't getting on you, I was getting on SR for their noise measurements that have no bearing on real-world conditions. :)

netgo

Post by netgo » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:42 am

I ordered two from harddrive.com

Does anyone know what is inside? Is it harddrive only? Website does not have any information. Do I need to buy 4pin to sata power adaptor and sata cable?

Please let me know. I want to prepare installation before they arrive.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:18 am

netgo wrote:I ordered two from harddrive.com

Does anyone know what is inside? Is it harddrive only? Website does not have any information. Do I need to buy 4pin to sata power adaptor and sata cable?

Please let me know. I want to prepare installation before they arrive.
Well, I can't find anything other than a 40GB Samsung drive on hardrive.com's site but these are all sold as "OEM" drives which means they'll come in nothing but an anti-static bag (hopefully wrapped in some bubble wrap at least, if harddrive.com packs decently). There will be no cables, manual or utility disk that you get with a retail drive.

All you'll need is an SATA power adapter and cable. The rest of the stuff is gravy.

netgo

Post by netgo » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:45 am

Ralf, thank you!

harddrive.com has them. But their website is little tricky.

Type "samsumg sata" in the search box and you will see this drive.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:57 am

netgo wrote:Ralf, thank you!

harddrive.com has them. But their website is little tricky.

Type "samsumg sata" in the search box and you will see this drive.
Jeez, no wonder they've still got them in stock, you can't even find them when you know that they're there!

netgo

Post by netgo » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:04 pm

Two drives arrived today via UPS.

Packaging is horrible. It has bubble wrap. But two drives are stacked together. And wrap. No support form. What are they thinking?

I ordered required cables from newegg. So my test will be end of this week.

Harddrive only.

Harddirve has sata connector and sata power male port. And jumper.

One question though, why do I need jumper on SATA drive? Do I need to set this to master? Both of them? My mobo is ABIT Nf7-S

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:43 pm

netgo wrote:Two drives arrived today via UPS.

Packaging is horrible. It has bubble wrap. But two drives are stacked together. And wrap. No support form. What are they thinking?

I ordered required cables from newegg. So my test will be end of this week.

Harddrive only.

Harddirve has sata connector and sata power male port. And jumper.

One question though, why do I need jumper on SATA drive? Do I need to set this to master? Both of them? My mobo is ABIT Nf7-S
Mine came sandwiched in styrofoam and then enclosed in thick foam.

netgo

Post by netgo » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:36 pm

JVM, you are lucky....