silent 120 gb hd, maxtor, seagate or samsung?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zandpaddo

silent 120 gb hd, maxtor, seagate or samsung?

Post by zandpaddo » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:21 am

Last week i desided to silence my pc. I ordered an ZM-80C vga-cooler and a NB-47J both from zalman.

Now i can hear clearly my harddisk, so i want to buy a bigger but a less noisy drive now with a capacity around 120 gb and 8mb cache and and a p-ata connection.

At first i looked for a Daimondmax 9+, it's cheap but a little noisy (said a couple of reviews) (92 euro's) (average performance)

alternative's

The second candidate is te Seagate 7200.7, they say this one is more silent in compare with the maxtor (but in a tweakers.net (dutch computerrelated-site) the maxtor is more silent) (94 euro's) (worst performance)

The third is a samsung, the 1213N (p80 serie), the most silent drive (they said), but the most expensive one (102 euro's) (unknown, but better than seagate?)

I saw, at this forum there is a lot of expertise with silent pc's so whitch drive do I have to chose. Is the samsung worth the 10 euro's extra, should i choose te seagate, or the maxtor?

Putz

Post by Putz » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:56 am

zandpaddo, Welcome to SPCR!

The general consensus around here tends to be that the Samsung SpinPoint drives are worth the money, and do not disappoint. Better performance than Seagate (and Maxtor, depending on who you ask), but not quite reaching levels of Western Digital (noisy, even with FDB) and Hitachi (expensive). Idle noise levels just shy of Seagate's famous Barracuda IV, and seek noises that are arguably lower. Plus longer warranties than most other drives out there, and better reliability within that warranty to boot. (Pun intended.)

Definitely consider the Samsungs.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:44 am

I would definitely choose the Samsung too. It's very noticeably quieter than either of the other drives, has great performance, runs cool and has a three year warranty.

wigworld

Post by wigworld » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:13 pm

I bought a Samsung this time last week, and I can't believe how quiet it is (coming from an IBM Deskstar 60GB) - I'm very pleased with my choice - I was about to order a Silent Drive enclosure to accompany it, but now the drive's in place, I really don't feel I need it. :D

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:42 pm

Though I don't have experience with the very same Samsung, I would definetely give the Samsung the nod compared to the others you listed.

zandpaddo

Post by zandpaddo » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:05 am

I have ordered the samsung today.

I can't wait to see if the drive is as quiet en fast like everybody said!

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:40 pm

Ah, my 1st reply in many months....

I haven't listened to the Samsung, but I just installed a 120GB 'Cuda 7. People say it's not the best anymore, but it's pretty damn good! It's noise is below the noise generated by my 6V panaflo 80L's.

Are Samsung 120GB's even available in Vancouver?