How do i silence my WD 120gig HD for under35 bucks?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

How do i silence my WD 120gig HD for under35 bucks?

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:19 am

Hi guyz

this is my first post here.

my lil bro has a western dig 120gig 7200rpm 8mb that he has had for over 2 years now.

It is loud as hell, i have read threw this page and forum and it seems the best things to do are:

1. sandwich it and add side heatsinks
2. buy a seagate/samsung
3. i dunno?

Now, i am in the process of making a new comp so i cant afford to spend to much money, i think 35 is the most.

my lil bro case is a cheiftec green dragon case. it is really big.

I am thinking i can buy all the stuff for the sandwich and side heatsinks for under 35? is that right? how do i start this sandwich thing?

I really want to make this Hard drive silent!

any help and input would be great.
~RaNDoM

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:34 am

the sandwich can be as easy as:
2 aluminium plates (6mm or even thicker) aprx 3 cm bigger on each side than the WD-HDD

put the WD between the plates, add some dense material to the gaps at the sides, tape the plates together and place in bottom of case on some soft sponge.

I did more or less this with my loud WD and it got considerably quieter.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:04 pm

RaNDoMMAI - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

The answers to your questions can be found in detail in a few of the articles that are in the Storage section of the main site. There's several articles about sandwiching HDDs there.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:10 pm

thx guyz for the input

Ralf, i did read all the artices and alot of the forums alrdy, i had come to the conclusion that sandwiching is the best option for me.

I was wondering if there are any other ways other then sandwiching to make my WD harddrive totally quiet without spending tons of money.

thx for the welcome.

ruprag:

ok, lets say i did the sandwich like you said, what would i do to keep the harddrive from overheating and any other kind of probelm like that? does it matter what kind of stuff i use to stuff it?

thx again guyz
~RaNDoM

ejl10

Post by ejl10 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:02 pm

If you don't mind floating some money, buy a Samsung or Seagate from Newegg, move your system over, and sell the WD on Ebay. There's a remarkably strong market for the 120GB WD Special Edition drives. Even better, if you watch CompUSA, Circuit City, etc. for special deals on Seagates, you can get a bigger and better drive without investing more than $20 and a bit of time.

One note- be careful of listing on Ebay... the date and time at which the auction ends has a significant impact on the final sale price. If you haven't sold anything before, it might pay to have an experienced friend run the listing for you.

Emmett Lyman