Best Low Profile, quiet HSF for Athlon64?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

royh

Best Low Profile, quiet HSF for Athlon64?

Post by royh » Tue May 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Hello all,

I am putting together a computer in an extremely cramped case, where the power supply is vertical, on the bottom, and "above" the processor. Between the socket and the fan grill of the power supply is 2.5" or 635mm, so I need something at least a little bit lower than that. I'm looking for the best cooling I can get without too much (more than case fans and a Barracuda) noise. So far the only thing I have found is the Cooler Master Susurro, and that appears to cool slightly worse than stock.

Are there any better choices out there?

Redzo

Re: Best Low Profile, quiet HSF for Athlon64?

Post by Redzo » Sat May 27, 2006 4:55 pm

royh wrote:Hello all,

I am putting together a computer in an extremely cramped case, where the power supply is vertical, on the bottom, and "above" the processor. Between the socket and the fan grill of the power supply is 2.5" or 635mm, so I need something at least a little bit lower than that. I'm looking for the best cooling I can get without too much (more than case fans and a Barracuda) noise. So far the only thing I have found is the Cooler Master Susurro, and that appears to cool slightly worse than stock.

Are there any better choices out there?
Are you sure you have your numbers right ? 635mm is ALOT space to work with. Much more then any heatsink needs. 635mm is 22 inch or 2.083ft.

Chunker

Seriously consider the stock fan that AMD gives you

Post by Chunker » Sat May 27, 2006 5:45 pm

I was quite surprised at how small and quiet the HSF that comes with the AMD 64 is. It uses a low profile fan and its speed is controlled by the whole Cool and Quiet system.

Mine is very, very quiet. But, its always running in the lowest setting. Having a cramped and hot case like yours might have it running at very high RPMs.

Give it a try; it's free!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Greetings and Welcome to SPCR,

I think that maybe there is a decimal point missing: 63.5mm is exactly 2.5". And the answer is, that will be tough to make work, especially since you need some air space above the fan -- really 2" (or 50.8mm) is what is available for the HSF.

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Sat May 27, 2006 7:32 pm

Measured the height of my stock hsf - 66mm. Hopefully yours is slightly shorter so it can fit.
With this little clearance, i think it is better to aim the fan into the PSU intake, so you'd have to flip the fan. If there are no intakes in that area, then really tough luck 4 u.

Even Kama is taller than 63.5mm, well you can try Vortex Dream. It is quite cheap.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article184-page1.html

royh

Post by royh » Sun May 28, 2006 10:18 am

Yup, I meant 63.5mm, and the HSF does need to be significantly shorter than that.

I saw the vortex dream, and the review says the fan is pretty noisy, and the fan size is unusual so I can't replace it easily, unfortunately. I would rather underclock my CPU and run passive than have a noisy computer.

The sussurro is definitely sounding like my best bet right now.
wwenze wrote: With this little clearance, i think it is better to aim the fan into the PSU intake, so you'd have to flip the fan.
I switched the PSU fan actually, both for that reason and because it is on the bottom in this case, and I wanted the airflow to go up, since hot air rises, so the PSU fan is ideally situated and oriented.